Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

First Impressions of ProCircuit Type 496

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions of ProCircuit Type 496

I put the Pro Circuit Type 496 and PC headers on my '03 650 this afternoon. I intened to get an MPEG before (with moded stock pipe) and after (With 496), but was squeezed for time. It was raining so had to use neighbors garage. Here's my first impressions.

Install:
Installation was VERY VERY VERY VERY easy!!!! Take nuts of header flange, loosen front header clamp, take out can bolts and repeat in reverse order!!! No ill fitting parts or other mods whatsoever!!! removed all left side plastic to make things easier. Gettin the plastic back on and straight was the hardest part!!!

First start:
WOW!!!!! This puppy sounds GOOOOD!!!! My stock pipe was modified with three, one inch holes drilled through the baffles. It had an ok sound, but not great. Had a twang to it. The Pro Circuit just sounds awesome!!! Deep, hard thump at idle that just getts deeper harder as rpm climb. Imagine a Harley that actually makes power :rotfl: When i first fired the mill up i had a small exhaust leak around the front header to cylinder union. Tightened up the nuts a bit and leak in nearly gone. Still a small tick tick tick, but may resolve after a little heating and cooling.

First Spin:
Man this puppy sounds wicked!!! It's just hard to get over the sweet sound. Anyway, the bike is stronger off idle. I've been complaining about a sluggishness off idle. Most people told me that i was lean off idle but i'm wasn't having backfiring through the carbs..just a slight bog. This seems to have dissappeared. It's pretty strong down low and SCREAMS in the mid!!! The pipe really helped lean the jets enough for the Dial-a-Jets to work better. Hopefully it's lean enough for me to stay with the stock jets when the weather warms up. Time will tell.

Final thoughts:
This pipe is sweet! The fit and finsh are absolute top notch!! Nothing had to be modified at all. The sound is nice a deep. IMHO it's not to loud at all. Nice a deep. My dad even liked it!!!! Gotta tell you something. He hated the sound of the moded pipe........now that i think of it so do I!! The performance increase seems to be VERY noticable. I highly recommend this pipe and PC headers! I'm gonna wring it out next sunday. See how well it's really runnin. I'm still not totally happy with my off idle performance but i've not ran beside another wheeler yet. I'm thinking i'm expectin gsx-r type accel out of an kvf

If you want any more info ask I'll give you my opinion.

l8r
cart

Old 03-15-2004, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cartman,
Thanx for the write up on the new pipe. Makes me want to go out and spend a few bucks on a pipe...but I'm trying to save up for the new Dyna cdi right now.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Cartman, nice write up! That's why I frequent these forums so much......you get a LOT of "real-world" info. Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer

cartman308, Where did you get a Pro Circuit Type 496 for the P650? I can not even find any refferences to it on Pro Circuits website

Old 03-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

bought it off Kawtech on this site. it was used. It should be listed in the Parts Unlimited Cataloges newest issure. Most any dealer should have the catalog. ProCircuit's site is a little behind i guess. or they've stopped production. I emailed them regarding the pipe before i bout it and they never answered.

good luck. it's a sweet pipe!!!
cart

Old 03-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

Ive been searching for the T496 pipe for the Prairie. Pro Circuit says...."IT IS NOT IN PRODUCTION and will not be available for a few months". I hope yours is not just a rebadged T4 because it looks exactly like my T4 on my P700. I expected to see a larger/longer can. Is your loud?

Has anyone tried the optional quiet core for the PC T4? I just ordered one.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

not loud at all. Very nice deep rumble. much louder than stock but a much better sound the modded stock pipe. Here's a pic of the t-4 right above the 496.....they look near identical. I have no idea how he got it. Maybe it's for the v-force??? they have the same pipe as the prairie but diffenrent headers. It fits perfect.

http://www.partsmag.com/0402/pro-cir...cuit-0402.html

Old 03-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Range Rover

I was hoping to see an actual picture of the P650 Silencer next to a P650 T496 silencer. AS soon as I saw your post, I called BTO to buy it. I dont get it.

Pro circuit says, "the pipes have not been made yet and wont be for awhile". "There will be a noticable increase in length and diameter of the T496 Silencer as compard to the T4 Silencer".

I bought my pipe from BTO Sports. Joe, at BTO, called PC in California, Kentucky and the leading distributors on each coast. No one has seen this pipe yet.

So I just ordered a quiet core for now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I thought the PC T4 system for the "V" was a dual system? How could the silencer fit?

Old 03-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

maybe the fella i bout it off of can chime in. look at the pics of the pipe HERE for what it looks like. Sorry i don't know anyone with a t-4 that i can put it beside.

alls i know is the pipe is a ProCircuit Type 496 and it and the headers fit my 2003 Kawasaki Praire 650 like a glove and sound ohhhhh sooo nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

cart

Old 03-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Range Rover

Cartman,

This is killing me. Can you do me a favor? Please measure the length of the can from end to end NOT to include the tip or collector. Just the aluminum rolled surface or just the "can". Then measure the diameter of the can. If it really is a T496, it will be longer and wider than my T4. Also, you can remove the tip with the (3) hex screws and measure the inside core. My T4 is 1.75". The quiet core should be different than that. You can PM me the measurements. I'd really appreciate that. Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: First Impressions of ProCircuit Type 496