Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New clutch....25% gain???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch....25% gain???

What your opinion on this??

Has anyone tried this clutch. It says 25% performance gain over OEM clutch, with stated more top end speed.

Not sure if it will work for the EBS on the prairie, but it's made for all Kawa, includeing the V-force. They claim the performance gain is in the angle of the face plates, which makes sense.

Some good things I see....It looks like it uses Polaris weights, which would open us up to a bunch of options. It is a three pole clutch should be lighter and have less resistance when turning because of the cooling fin design on the back.

I think I'll order one for racing, unless someone has already tried it.

103 HPQ clutch

Helix sells a lot of Polaris Clutch Parts, maybe he knows something about this.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

I'm very interested in this topic.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

More info

More info

I just might have to try one.... The EBS will not work, but for drags and stuff who cares.

It said somewhere that the sheaves are a slightly larger diameter also. But, the secondary may hold that back like on the stock primary.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

VERY hard to get dialed in from what I've read. If I'm not mistaken, Dale said it wouldn't offer any more top speed without some machining to the sheeves.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

One thing I really like about this is that it's less than 1/2 the price of a new p700 clutch. I seem to be in the market for a new one on my 650, due to severe grooving on the clutch face, and a (maybe) bad drilling job on the faceplate(not quite in balance). I could just replace the plate and the bushings but the grooving is so bad that I don't think it's worth it.

What I'm wondering is, with the EBS disabled, will it really make a noticable difference while trail riding? I used to ride an old Polaris and the lack of engine braking never really seemed to be a problem

Or, if anyone knows a good way to fix the clutch faces, maybe I could try that. Any info will be appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Why would it be more difficult to dial in this clutch than it would be the stock clutch? And would any of the other clutch springs available now fit this new clutch, such as the HPD plain, Dalton Blue, Polaris Yellow, EPI Pink, etc.? Are the spring ratings they give for their optional springs rated the same as the other companies rate their springs?

Old 04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, no engine braking is not a good thing for me. I use it alot, way more than my brakes. To bad, this would of been cool.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
Why would it be more difficult to dial in this clutch than it would be the stock clutch?
With the stock clutch you at least have a baseline to do some fine-tuning with. With the Comet you are starting on your own, no weights or springs.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

DWB;

Sounds like the polaris folks like the clutch, but most of the post is about the new TEAM secondary clutch which is on the polaris 700 EFI this year. I hope they make one for Kawa next, that way we could change our Helix!

There was a lot of talk about this clutch when it first came our on the polaris side. Everything I read was good, I called and talked to comet, the said that a kawa clutch was in the makeing. guess it's here.

Kevin...seems like if they are design for the Kawa, they must be somewhat dialed in to a baseline.

Maybe we need you to do some clutch testing for us.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I saw that Rick. I'm looking forward to the day we get an aftermarket secondary....

I just ordered one.

Mike and I are planning on getting together for some more play time on the testing grounds soon. So, we'll have something else to ponder and test. Let us know if you get one and what you find.

Quick Reply: New clutch....25% gain???