Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BEAT BY Z400....Last Straw

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEAT BY Z400....Last Straw

OK, this is ridiculous. I got spanked by a modded Z-400 this saturday. First race, I thought it was a fluke since my start was so-so. So we ran again. This time I got a full throttle start and never could catch him. He got the holeshot and had more top end. What the heck????

All I have done to the V is throw on a set of Duals and rejet according to the DMC literature. I still have the stock air filter and I run the EPI pink spring.

How much difference does the K&N and airbox mods make? How much faster would a more aggressive primary spring make? KevinM recommends a Hotseat purple, but the Hotseat website does not offer a purple, so I don't know what to get....

What about this CDI that I keep hearing about?

What can I do to make the V Force faster? My stock Raptor will outrun it. This is pitiful......

Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Do what I did, bite the bullet.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Homedawg;

You should gain 1-2 bike lengths by air box mods, then rejetting.

More aggressive spring, should get you another bike length out of the hole, if you have traction.

Dale at Dalton is working on a orange/blue which is designed for drag raceing v's.

He has been racing his V, talk to him, see what he would sugguest.

What's your times, how close at you to him?

Old 04-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

there is alot of spring choices but they change depending on weights,shims. with the weights and shims you can make the same spring feel like different springs. weights and shims changes, make different stall and shift out points.
jetting is very inportant also. do a plug test to find out for sure how you are jetted. take a ride full throttle
and kill the ignition while holding throttle wide open and pull and look at your plugs. you want a light tan. black is rich and white is lean.
before you do anything remove the top to air box and see how it runs down the road if it runs better it is definetly
rich if its worse you'll have to do a plug check.
air box mods are really up to you more air which is what you'll get with the mod means more gas = more hp.how much who knows !!
the cdi is probably a must for v force to gain more top end. just research till you're sick of reading so you chose the one for you.
hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

hey schl48a were do you ride???

Old 04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

race nationals, but locally arcade and right here in wayland springwater.on the roads. seasonal and in front of my property and about 1200 acres. i am actually in east springwater. tabors corners road area.
how bout you?

Old 04-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just sold my V-Force last week and It was a Very Good Quad! The V-force is Fun to ride with no worries of ever being in the wrong gear. But unless BEEFED up big time is NOT the fastest quad on the block. I also had Dual aliens along with a change in jetting and air box mod. (You might wanna call DMC I think they recommend different jet sizes other then there literature?) The reason I sold it was because I like Riding my Prairie more and feel I'm just as fast on it as I was on the V in the woods. Maybe faster? When it comes to flat out racing just like hill climbing a lot had to do with weight! and the Rider. You gotta remember the V force is heavy plus how much do you weight? There are Big Coal hills I wasn't able to do on the V-force! but could climb on my o'250R! Im sure me weighing 240lbs V-force =500lbs-ish and 250R =350lbs-ish. had something to do with it. Not sure what the Z's weight is but I think its in the 350lb area? and some of the modified Z's are right up there with the 450s! I also know some Riders that can just FLY on the Z's! You could bite that bullet and go Big Bore! but there are Prices to Pay for that. The set-up you have now is almost like I had and was great for all around riding! Im sure you could tweek it some more? But there are always going to be some races you cant win in flat out runs, It seems for one reason or another? Just do what I do, They may pass you on the open flats but when you drop back in the woods, Just out fox them and sneak by!~lol.~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 250R
V-Force =SOLD
And a bunch of other Toyz!

Old 04-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

dmc duals with 144f-147.5r @ 1300 ft above sea level. K&N filter with napa 7335 snorkle.runs great tan plugs. DMC says 138 140 jets but thats stock. Hope this helps ya. I raced a 400 and beat him by 4 quad lengths. Would be more if i wasnt holding this thing on the ground so hard. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

How modded is he??? I raced one on pavement after I got my pipes and it was no contest. I beat him badly. This was with Duncan duals, jets, hpd plain, air box lid propped open. I also use ratchet tie-downs to compress the front shocks so I can launch full throttle. That must be one really tricked out 400, or your jetting is off really bad. Duncan recommended removing the snorkel on the airbox. I took it a little further and propped the front of the lid open. How far are you running? From what I've seen with mine, the V's strength is mainly bottom end. I believe this can be best realized with the Dalton Kit. I have the Dalton clutch cover and I'm going to order the weights tomorrow. I would recommend getting the weights and the orange/black spring. If you can put enough bikes beween you off the line, you should be able to beat him in a reasonable distance. If he has a ton of engine mods and a tall gear you probably won't beat him in a very long distance. In my opinion, a drag race for atv's shouldn't be over 400 ft. There are a couple of local atv drags. They both run 200 ft. I don't think the cdi will be the answer for the top end most of us are looking for. If he is just slightly modded I would be very surprised if you can't put several bikes between you off the line. Are you racing on dirt and spinning like mad?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

i have a place on canadice rd. i do alot of riding up in the hills around there and take the ocassinall trip to cohocton/loon lake area.