Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Welders

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:29 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Welders

I would like to buy my first welder, I always seem to find something to make and wish I could weld. I don't want to spend alot of money. I have never learned how to weld before and I would like to learn. My dad has an Arc Welder, its ancient and makes big fat welds. Over the years I feel this is the clumsy welder for smaller projects for ATVs and small trucks. I have seen people on TV use a Mig Welder and they look slick. I have yet to do any kind of research on Arc VS Mig welders Vs other types??? If someone can give me some information on each type that would be great. Also would a mig or an arc be better for a first time welder? Are supplies expensive for a mig? Anything else I should know? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Welders

I think a mig is very easy to use once you get the basics down, The most important part on welding is setting up your machine,the right amount of heat,wire speed etc for the metal your welding...

I have both an Arc Welder "the buzz box" and a mig i would take the mig any day over the arc for many reasons: you can weld aluminum(with the right wire etc),cleaner welds,simple, easier to use...

There is also a tig welder but thats way to much for the average joe...

Arc welders are for more thicker materials,not to say a mig cant weld some thick metal as well...

I have a Miller 135,i paid 700 bucks for it,its a gas welder,for refills its $25 i have the biggest tank to can get.. wire oh gosh i cant remember i get it free from my bud,i cant remember what the going price is for it..

You can also get a mig that don't use gas,it uses flux core wire, which is cheaper to run and is just as good for light welding...

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Welders

Well I was going to respod to this but trailrider500 beat me to it. He said just about everything I was going to say so I will make this short. I personally don't like 110 welders unless I was just doing sheet metal. I have both a 110 and a 220 welder and I only use the 110 on sheet metal. I use the 220 on everything else up to about 3/8" and over that I use a stick. Also I would get the argon/CO2 mix and not the straight CO2. The mig is way easier to weld with because you don't have the rod eating away and it is easy to keep the correct distance. You will make many things once you get the hang of it. Have fun

Old 04-14-2004 | 01:33 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Welders

Hmmm, the ones in my small town are only 110v and gasless. I'm not sure if my new home has 220v or not, I will have to find out. So Gas vs Gasless, gas can be used for thicker material, is that about the only advantage it has? Is it faster? Safe? I believe they have Miller and Lincoln, which is a better name?

Old 04-14-2004 | 01:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Welders

I like Miller,Lincoln is ok,but the feed reels are plastic,on the Miller they are aluminum.. I have always had good luck with miller,many on my friends have, we also use all miller products at work and they go through he!! every week and never fail...

The gas welder gives you a more pure weld, a flux core welder gives a good weld but you have to clip the slag off like a stick welder and sometimes the weld is not as clean as a gas weld. as for safety the gas they use argon/CO2 cant ignite and is 100% safe...

Over all gas seems to be the best for clean pure welds thats about it... One down side to gas is you cant weld in the wind, it will blow the gas that covers away,and the weld will not be strong..

110 volt welders are great, but for thicker metal you might need the extra power like a 220 welder(it really comes down to what your using it for)

The only thing i don't like about my 110v welder is, every time you strike an arc the lights in the house will flicker(thats if the garage and the house share the same power source)..

Hope this helps........

Old 04-14-2004 | 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Welders

I have a miller arc and lincoln mig. 220 is the only way to go. The mig is great, but I'm old fashioned and have built many trailers with the arc welder. Its what I learned on, its what I'm best with. My father was an Iron worker for a long time and tought me most of what I know and thats where the arc comes from. I believe the lincoln to be superior in the mig area. Better build and much more reliable from my experience. The miller arc machines I have owned have been flawless as well.

Old 04-14-2004 | 03:00 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Welders

I have an Lincoln arc welder, like what's been said, it's great for thicker metals. My neighbor has a Miller mig welder, when we do smaller projects, we break it out and weld with it. It dones weld easier and the job seems to go smoother and faster. Plus no rods laying around to puncture tires, seeing we weld in the driveway.

Old 04-14-2004 | 03:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

I have a Lincoln 220 mig and a buzz box. Both work well- the mig can be turned down far enough for sheet metal. About the only benefits of flux core is welding in the wind and not buying gas, bottle and regulator. Most of the less expensive flux machines can be converted to gas, they usually say if you can. As far as settings go, almost all migs have them printed inside the flip up door. (they are pretty close) If you can, get the 220, much more versatile. Then you won't have to kick yourself later. All the top brands are good, Miller, Hobart, Esab, Lincoln, etc....Try and stay away from "bargain" welders - pay a little more now, save yourself a lotta pain later.(or sooner) I have used all of these brands at work- in 110,220 and440.

Old 04-14-2004 | 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

Everyone here is on the right track... I wish I had a MIG / TIG welder, but I learned on a stick, ( I got an old Lincoln buzz box for my 13th birthday, & was "melting" things together long before I actually learned to weld ), now I can weld nearly anything with a stick... If you only intend to use your welder for light, small projects, you may be OK with the 110 vt... but you should look at the "duty rating", most cheaper welders can have a very low duty rating ( can really only weld for very short intervals )... while this is generally OK for smaller projects, it can really slow you down on medium sized projects... also while the flux core wire is probably better for the average guy, if you go that route, make sure your welder can handle the bigger spools, as using the flux core wire, you will go through wire much faster than the solid core wire, weld for weld

Old 04-14-2004 | 08:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

i own a hobart 175 amp ,220 volt welder & a lincoln 225 amp arc welder. the mig welder is by far the easvest to use. the wire run about $4 for a 2 lb spool and i think $25 for a 10 lb spool these are all flux core wire prices. standard (solid) mig wire is cheaper than flux core. i payed $600 for my hobart mig, it even came with a cart, 2 lb spool, regulator and a junk welding helmet. the 220 volt welder will be able to weld sheet metal with no problems, the trick is to stich weld, were as running a solid bead on heaver stuff. flux core wire is stronger than solid wire. i have welded metal up to 1/2" and as small as 22 gauge i.e. sheet metal. if you could go with the bigger one (220 volt).

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Quick Reply: Welders