Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Water Wetter & Purple Ice outperform Engine Ice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Wetter & Purple Ice outperform Engine Ice!

Check out this interesting article from atvnews about a test done with various radiator additives:

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

"Heat Relief
How To Improve Your Quad’s Cooling Efficiency

Ken Jetblast Thompson
ATV News
Wednesday October 15, 2003

One way to reduce the overheating phenomenon is by introducing cooling system additives. We found three icons in the coolant market: Redline Water Wetter, Royal Purple’s Purple Ice and Cyclelogics Engine Ice. Water Wetter and Purple Ice are similar in makeup, and require mixing approximately 2 ounces of each with a gallon of distilled water. Engine Ice, however, comes pre-mixed at the correct ratio. The first two don’t offer anti-freeze capabilities, but Engine Ice is good to 27 degrees below zero, and is the lone non-toxic additive. There is one definite drawback to Engine Ice, however, and that’s its cost; from $14 to $16 per half gallon (remember it’s already mixed). Water Wetter (12-ounce) and Purple Ice (16-ounce) cost around $6 to $8. These concentrated fluids, when mixed with distilled water at the correct ratio, yield 6 gallons of coolant mix.

Do these additives measure up to manufacturer claims? Eddie Sanders Racing helped us keep tabs of our test machine’s temps. ESR shipped us one of its billet, shock-proof temperature gauges. This compact unit performed rock-solid through all our testing. Available in a variety of colors, the gauge retails for around $80. The liquid-filled gauge and its billet body are replaceable. We even had a clear view of the gauge while riding — sweet!

To standardize a baseline for comparison, we first ran our quad around a three-mile woods loop, with the stock coolant mix. A warm 80-degree day made it easy to build heat in the motor. The quad stabilized at 187 degrees, and upon coming to a stop after the run, it had virtually no ability to overcome that temperature.

Redline Water Wetter was the first additive we tested. We drained and completely flushed the cooling system. Then, we mixed Water Wetter at the suggested 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water. Paying close attention to duplicate the engine revs during our previous run, we ran the woods course again. This time, the machine stabilized near 175 degrees, and the gauge showed a 162-degree temp after a minute of rest. Satisfied with the Water Wetter’s results — and figuring most racers would love this steady cooling during a two-hour woods journey — we moved to the next contestant.

We mixed Royal Purple’s Purple Ice at the suggested 4 ounces per gallon, then performed the same flush and fill prior to our ride. During the run, Purple Ice basically duplicated Water Wetter’s readings. It was also able to mirror the recovery rate. Two-for- two, these products really work! A 20-degree difference in cooling temps, that’s a definite improvement.

We performed the drain and flush to introduce Cyclelogics Engine Ice to our quad. Its bright, blue color was easiest to see during a visual level check. The other additives lost their color and forced us to bump the quad to get a reservoir reading. The Engine Ice stabilized at 180 degrees on the trail, and, once parked, recovered down to 172 degrees. Though Engine Ice didn’t cool quite as well, it does have that anti-freeze protection and is non-toxic.

One other precautionary test we performed was a litmus test for acidity. Today’s engines are made from a variety of different metals and the same coolant flows through all of them. When put coolant in contact with metal, there is a reaction. Normally over time, that reaction can affect the acidity of the coolant. After a period of longer use, these additives measured a higher acidic level than the stock anti-freeze. We recommend frequent flushes when using these additives. And during the winter, it’s best to change to an anti-freeze and water mixture.

Our heat-fighting tips, combined with other aftermarket aids, should keep your quad cool so it can maintain its optimum speed while running smoother and longer."

Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one question. Is there some reason why you did'nt test "EVENS" coolant with your other brands. Or maybe you are'nt aware of the product. I would like to know what the boil-over temps are on the coolants you tested. Evens coolant is a non water base product. It has a boil-over of 325* F. Freeze protection down to -75*F. And is a lifetime of the engine coolant. $ 25.00 gal. A gal. should do 2 or 3 quads. Check it out.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:17 AM
Pro Rider

Evans won't boil but it runs hotter than those tested IMO.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

THOM... most people are familiar with the regular Evans... they now have Evans NPG + which is a far superiour product...

Here is their web site if you want more info...

http://www.evanscooling.com/main31.htm

Old 04-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Venforcer,
If you carefully re-read the first post above, you will notice that I didn't do the testing...I only re-posted this article to this forum. I don't know why they didn't include Evans coolant, but I also would've liked to seen that product included in the test.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: newbeatle
THOM... most people are familiar with the regular Evans... they now have Evans NPG + which is a far superiour product...

Here is their web site if you want more info...

http://www.evanscooling.com/main31.htm

I am aware of the Evans product line. Actually their superior product for ATV's would be the Evans NPP-R formula that is brand new. It is not a thick syrup like the older + the lower viscosity is supposed to greatly enhance cooling. I still do not think it can be up to par with water or additives, the best heat dissipator we know of. On that note I need to get some R formula for my Cdale because it contains no water and will not eat at my magnesium valve cover......

Old 04-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

yes the water water work great,i've used it in all my engines so far and
you can drop temp till 30 degree on a hot summer day properly mixed with distiled water,,,one more thing to say,,give the MAXIMA COOLANOL a try then,very efficient coolant too.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

THOM... I didn't know about their new product... I'll need to talk to them... the + I have seems about the same consistancy as regular 50 / 50 mix... I agree thinner is better as far as getting the air out of the system, & conducting heat...

Old 04-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

So how much Water Wetter or Purple Ice would I put in the coolant tank of my Kawi 650 ATV (cap. 2.1l or 2.22 U.S. quarts) to make it run cooler? Also, it would have to be drained in winter, right? I guess I could save it for the following spring. Please advise...Thanks!

Old 04-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Squire,
I followed the instructions for the Purple Ice and I only had to add 2 oz of P.I. to my coolant. I think Water Wetter is similar. The P.I. bottle has about 12 oz in it so it should last a long time even if you change coolant every winter.