Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

26" ATR Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26" ATR Report

Well I slapped them on today. I am disappointed in ITP. I love the tires but the difference between the front and rear have me depressed.
I had them swap a front and a rear just so I could compare them to the 25" units.
The Rears are noticeably taller. The fronts look exactly the same. I don't get it.
I wrote ITP about it and asked if it generated a negative effect on my handling in or out of 4x4 would they replace the rears with 25"units. If I do not get a reply by Tuesday evening I'm going to call them.
I did mark the tires and roll the machine by hand and without measuring it looked real close. I then fired it up, put it in 4x4 making sure it was engaged, re-marked the tires, pulled the locker lever and it repeated. Hmmm? But as I went another 20 yards they lost sync.
DARN IT! You can't take cash money and get what you want the first time anymore!

Old 04-24-2004, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default 26" ATR Report

Rock, were you happy with the 25 inch atr"s? I want new tires but I'm very undecided I was leaning towards atr's but I hear a lot of people complaining about the quality control issues.Do the 26 inch atr's feel heavier from a handling-turning point of view?

Old 04-24-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

I love the tire. I just wish the fronts grew as much as the rears. I went through this with Kenda Bear Claws. They accually changed their mold to fix it.
They turn great. ITP says Radials requier more psi. I was running 4.0 rear and 4.5 front but I like these at 6psi front and rear. ITP recomends 6.0psi.

Old 04-24-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

So are they much wider or just taller. When I e-mailed ITP a couple months ago the e-mail they sent me left me believing they would be about the same width just an inch taller. I wanted them to be noticably wider. any chance you can post a picture comparing the two.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

therock, go back and do a more careful rollig distance measurement.

You want the rears to roll 2" further. It they are close to this, then don't worry about what they look like. If ITP is a smart company, they would have sized them to roll to 2" difference (on stock width wheels I hope) and not sized them for height. I think all the tire companies shoot for this. They can make mistakes, but this seems to be the norm.

If it is 0", the steering will get too hard in 4x4.

If it is 4" or more, you will get a big "clunk" shifting into 4x4 and there will be noticeable drag.

I hate to have to air the fronts and rears up or down to cause the rolling distance to be 2" off. I would rather just set the air pressure where I want it to be and not have to pump one up hard and the other soft.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

ITP quality control is garbage and I highly recommend a different brand of tire. I have 25" holeshots, and while I like their performance characteristics, at least one of them is out of round, because i have a wobble above 45, that can't be corrected with toe adjustments etc. Several ppl have had defective atr's , mudlites, etc. Also, if you are going to only have one tire, the ATR is severely limited when it comes to any deep mud or muck - plan on being stuck. If you're going for an all around tire, I suggest a hard look at 26" Dirt Devils, Goodyear Mudrunners, etc..

Old 04-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Range Rover
Default 26" ATR Report

Hard to beat the Bighorns as an all around tire.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

Originally posted by: sledheadrich
Hard to beat the Bighorns as an all around tire.
Another great choice. Maxxis seems to make a solid tire, although I've not tried any.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

OK Nyroc, Your Thoughts Please,

First let me report on high the speed stability. The 25" units had a wobble only noticed on pavment above 40mph. The 26" units are as smooth as glass on pavment all the way to top speed. Nice.

I did the Roll measurment.
All 4 tires on both sets had 4.5psi.
I called ITP while they were in transit and they recommended 6 - 7psi. I told them I'm not jumping or racing so bead busting is not an issue. He stated in order for the tire to perform as designed, I need to use the recommended psi. So I did 2 measurements. A 4.5psi and a 6.5psi.

4.5 psi measurment.

25" ATR Rear - 75.0
26" ATR Rear - 76.5, a 1.5" increase in roll between the 25" & 26" rears.

25" ATR Front - 72.5
26" ATR Front - 73.25, ONLY a .75" increase in roll between the 25" & 26" fronts.

The 25" rear rolled 2.5" more than the 25" front.
The 26" rear rolled 3.25" more than the 26" front. 1.5" more than Nyroc likes.

6.5 psi Measurment with 26" ATR only

Front rolled 74-1/2", a 3/4" increase in roll over 4.5 psi.
Rear rolled 77-7/8", a 1-3/8" longer roll @ 3-3/8" more roll than the front. A 1/8" increase in roll difference between the air pressures. 1-5/8" more than Nyroc likes.

I rode the machine @ 4.5 psi and it felt and turned great. Have not rode @ 6.5 but they feel hard to the foot push test and I don't see any side wall bulge.

Do I have a valid complaint?

I will have the main engineer on the phone come Monday.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default 26" ATR Report

That is more rolling difference than I like. What kind of wheels were they on? If you have them on ITP wheels, the rolling distances will improve if you put them on stock wheels (the narrower rim would make the fronts roll further). Maybe you aren't using ITP. I couldn't see if you said so in previous posts since I am super tired right now.

I don't know if they will listen. I also don't know if they will take Nyroc's opinion as reason to take back the tires and refund your money.

Some people air up the shorter ones and air down the longer rolling ones until they get closer to 2 inches. I don't know if you would like to to that. That is what I meant.

I looks like if you did that you would get the ideal of 2". You don't have to be right on 2". 2" is just my favorite number. The further you get from it, the more you feel the negative effects. Just use 6.5 in the front and 4.5 in the back and call it good.

Quick Reply: 26" ATR Report