Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Thanks Lightman for the tip!
It is exactly right, when i am cruising on a logging road at mid trottle and I hit the trottle wide open, the engine bog and I have hesitation for 1 or 2 seconds. I have stock jetting, I should look at increasing the size of my jets.

DynaScott said that the new CDI is the same as stock at idle, I think it is the not true! My mother do not knows nothing about engine or electronics, vcr, computer, muffler...... ask me if I changed my exhaust on P700 because the sound of the engine was different at Idle. She did not know I changed the CDI, my wife told her just a few minutes after that I was spending too much $$ on this 4wheeler and in order to get more top speed I should invest that money into Weight Watcher and loose some weight.LOL

If you are disapoited when you look at the top speed gain of only 3mph, come here in Canada, it is looking better 5 km/h!!! LOL

Old 05-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

My experience with the cdi:

I have put about 225 miles mile on my bike with it. Let me start off by saying I love it and think I got my moneys worth.

OK now I just got back from riding Windrock (CoalCreek) I rode 189 miles in 3 days with dozens of starts hot, cold, wet, muddy, with the exhaust under water and even while the hot light was on, NO KICKBACKS. The time I started it hot was after dark so the lights were on, the fan was on, both drawing power even before I hit the start button and tried to turn over a hot engine.

Yes, the idle was higher, turned it down to where I felt it should be (no tach). I also always use the key never the kill switch and use a little throttle. The mods listed below is the rest of my set up.

I wasn't sure at first what the problem was with others cdi's and after reading the entire discussion I know I have not had this happen. I have had failed starts meaning I let off the button too soon, sometimes it starts quick and sometimes it takes a few revolutions and sometimes needs choke when I didn't think it was necessary but all in all very similar to stock as far as starting goes....... performance well above!!!

Old 05-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

I've had my bike kick back a few times, really makes me freak when it does it. Nyroc is right, the only time mine has done it is when it is warm. Yesterday was the worst one yet. I had been riding hard for an hour. I shut it down for about 10 minutes and then cranked on it and it kicked back BAD. I love the CDI and the power gaves the bike. It is also running cooler with out question. I don't think the fan has even come on since putting it in.
I am worried that I will damage the starter if this problem isn't worked out.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

put the dyna on my p700 and now jetting is to rich at 1/4 throttle backed out fuel screws to stock 1 1/2 turns out now i'm thinking to take shims out from under nedles ran fine before cdi

Old 05-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Mine's running fine. Rare kick back.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

My one and only kickback was a cold start. It turned over a few times and I let off the starter, hit the choke and then the starter again and thats when it did it.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

For some people the Dyna kicks against the starter only when it is warm, for others only when it is cold, and it worked well for EasterEgg even when everything was turned on, which contradicts Dyna's theory about low battery voltage. It seems the only consistant comment is the increased engine idle which, according to Scott at Dyna, can't be happening because it is like the stock idle? Does anyone know what is going on with this thing? Alltoys worked with them on this device, any ideas from you on this stuff? I would like the performance gains, but I think that one kickback is one too many for me. If the stock cdi doesn't do it, a replacement shouldn't either. I just want to be careful since a new starter and gears are over $500. Keep the reports coming.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

The idle is definitely different with the dyna CDI!! the speed seems to be higher but the sound os the engine is definitely different.

Is anyone did some idle RPM tests with the stock CDI and the Dyna CDI??

I used to have a holeshot module but I prefere the dyna CDI (mid range & top end performance!)and it more predictable for take off.

For the starter and gear damage after kickback, I am not worried, I only have 3 words in mind "GOOD TIMES PROTECTION"

Old 05-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

My tach showed the Dynatek CDI to be 100-150 rpms higher than stock cdi AFTER it is up to riding temp.

I have still only had two kickbacks since I had mine in. Those were last week. I have started it 15-20 more times hot and cold and no kickback.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

I talked with Scott at DYNA yesterday, I also tested 3 of my CDIs over and over and over yesterday! My thumb is sore from all the starting and shutting it right back off! I never had any kickbacks and it fired up right away every time except when I tried to give it gas, then it had to be cranked over a few time before it would start. My question is this,,,, when talking with Scott I asked how many of the people that are complaining have sent their cdi's back so they can test them and find out what may be happening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nobody has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So my question is, if you are having problems why haven't you sent it back???? They can not fix a problem if there is one if they don't have it in their hands!

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.