Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Nyroc, I am the one with the starter noise. I haven't had a chance to look into it. I have been working a lot of OT
and I have to work this weekend also. It may be a couple of weeks before I can get to it. Between work and cutting grass I haven't had time to do anything.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

Nyroc...

Is the 'kickback' like when the motor locks up (hyrdolocks) when the cylinder fills with gas from leaving the fuel valve open? Sounds like it kinda is that type of noise. I was looking forward to getting the CDI. Probably still will. But it's good to know what to look for.

Parker650

Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ok well I went riding today and it happened to me twice. There was no question what the noise was, it was a loud clank. Happened after it was warm, shut it and restarted using the gas. Not a good noise to be hearing. I'm not taking off the cdi, however I'd be pleased if it was figured out and solved by dyna!

Old 05-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I went riding yesterday, and I tried to get it to kickback. I used all different throttle positions, with no, er, luck. As that's a good thing, right?!

Old 05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

You are right Prairiewrench. I'll be sending mine back this week.

Myself, I was holding off to see if anything new came about.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Been using the CDI for 3 wks under all conditions, hot, cold, key off-back on, then hit starter immediately, couldn't make it kickback.

Today, we were riding hard at 10,000 ft....noticed all kinds of problems after 1/2 way thru the ride, occasional kickback, surging in mid and full throttle (sounded like an old Italian scooter during the surge), also backfire when letting off throttle. I want to fix it without going down blind alleys as I am prone to do. Does this sound like CDI or something else. It's a 200 mile drive plus abusing my ailing kart to test the original CDI under same conditions.

Is this the dyna CDI?... pre-CDI, what would the recommended fix have been? It's has performed well til now (literally my first problem...1200 miles). Thanks for any info.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
Been using the CDI for 3 wks under all conditions, hot, cold, key off-back on, then hit starter immediately, couldn't make it kickback.

Today, we were riding hard at 10,000 ft....noticed all kinds of problems after 1/2 way thru the ride, occasional kickback, surging in mid and full throttle (sounded like an old Italian scooter during the surge), also backfire when letting off throttle. I want to fix it without going down blind alleys as I am prone to do. Does this sound like CDI or something else. It's a 200 mile drive plus abusing my ailing kart to test the original CDI under same conditions.

Is this the dyna CDI?... pre-CDI, what would the recommended fix have been? It's has performed well til now (literally my first problem...1200 miles). Thanks for any info.
Sounds like altitude sickness. Do you often ride at this elevation? If not related to air density then I'd recommend sending it back for a checkup.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: zelphia
Originally posted by: hitman1970
I started my p700 3 times today with out kickback, but the one thing I did not do was give it throttle while cranking it over, I did run it on level black top with a top speed of only 67 mph, $230 for 3 mph extra and it did take a long time to get there! I feel like I got RIPTOFF!!!
Hitman, I'd be interested in buying your CDI if you'd like to part with it.
I'm gona hold on to this kickback junk for now, I don't want to pass my problems on to anyone else

Old 05-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zelphia
Originally posted by: kawiyowee

Sounds like altitude sickness. Do you often ride at this elevation? If not related to air density then I'd recommend sending it back for a checkup.

Yes, doctor, I do ride at 10,000'+ often. Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm surprised you didn't suggest aspirin.

Old 05-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, doctor, I do ride at 10,000'+ often. Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm surprised you didn't suggest aspirin.[/quote]

I guess I misunderstood your request for 'any info'. Now that I re-read my reply I have to agree that it doesn't offer much help. Just looking for the obvious first. Good luck with your problem.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.