Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

KOD, dont you think you got a defective cdi? Mine gave a nice power increase, and has clanked(2x) on one occasion in about 300 miles of riding. How much did yours clank?

Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well, its kicked back more times than I like. An honest answer would be between 12-16 times in 40-50 starts. Im sure its defective and thats why I want a full refund. Later on if the Dyna cdi proves to be a reliable cdi I may purchase one back. Right now I dont want to wait for test results or to wait on a new cdi that may or maynot arrive in June or July. I simply want them to refund my money. If they had one in stock I would gladly accept it and try it out.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Kod, you and I oughta have a magnetic pickup moving party. That way we don't have to ever worry about the flywheel coming loose.

We will get even more power at all RPM's than with a DG3 alone, and no kickback - ever.

All we have to do is buy a gasket and do a little grindy grindy on the pickup itself. We can always put it back if we don't like it.

This issue with the Dyna CDI is sparking the rear cyl way too early. We won't ever get that with a stock CDI and a slightly advanced pickup.

What do ya say? I will order pizza. Or, there is a realy good chinese place just 5 minutes away. Or I could remove my side cover and go to your place.

It looks like there is no chance I can ride this weekend. My rear axle has some additional gaskets and seals gone bad that I didn't know about. I have to work on it some more.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a deal. Monday and Tuesday are my next days off. Since you know what you are talking about "LOL" just remove your side cover and come on up. Pizza is on me like last time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Well all I can say is I have started mine hundreds of times with no problems none but I have 20 plus years of racing experince and keep mine tuned I know how to jet and how to tell if something is a miss. All I am saying is maybe we need to look at tuning as a problem .

Old 05-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

There is plenty of speculation and whining but not much troubleshooting going on here. The manufacturer has all but begged you guys to return the units but few have. Sad to see you guys turning your back on Dynatek this way. You have been crying for a replacement CDI but you're not making any effort to help Dynatek perfect it in spite of its benefits. They aren't trying to cheat anyone. Threatening them with your credit card isn't helping them or the rest of us. Where is the evidence that it is firing on the rear cyl first? The problem may be as simple as a first-run production problem that has nothing to do with the design of the unit. Give them a chance to find the bug and fix it. Send your units back for testing as they have requested.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

I never "cried" for anything. When I read the credit card comment Im sure you were talking about me. I ask you, whats wrong with wanting my money back?? I would really like to know. Would you like to spend $229 and wait until June or July for a replacement? Cause I sure as H@LL am not takeing the same one back. If Dyna proves to be stable with their second batch of cdis then I "may" buy one back, or I can save over $100 and get the DG3 module.

As far as tuning goes, I know my P650 is in "tune" it has been for a long time. Its always ran good no matter what cdi is in it. When I say good Im talking about no hesitation, or studdering or popping. However the Dyna cdi showed no signs of improvement at all.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

This kickback problem has NOTHING to do with tuning.

That said- I tend to agree somewhat with zelphia. One little problem surfaces and everyone jumps ship. My thought is that you people (including KOD) should have known better, in trying out the first run of a new , experimental product. Dyna's testing was minimal - as they admitted - just nyroc and sgt rock and alltoys or whatever. Very limited test group. Anyway, this is how it works with new toys like that. If you want to be the first to have it, you had better expect a few bugs! Of course in a perfect world atv'ing would be allowed everywhere , all girls would be required to be topless regardless of weather, and all mods would work perfectly the first time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I had one clank experience, and none in the 5 times I've ridden since then. I have started hitting the starter button before I give it any gas, and no I dont know if thats making any difference or not, but I haven't had a clank. The performance increase is awesome along the whole rpm range, so I'm really hesitant to ditch it.

I too am annoyed that dyna doesn't have stock. Despite good running condition etc, I would like to send mine back for evaluation, for dyna's sake and because I had that one clank, however I'm not excited about having to wait that long.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

I sent mine back for evaluation yesterday.

I'm eager to get it back. The cooler operating temps were a huge benefit to me. I never overheated once during several nasty mud rides; where I am usually the first and the most to overheat.

As far as performance goes, maybe the trouble is related because I didn't get any measureable improvement either. But, maybe I didn't do enough testing.

If I have to wait a few months for Dyna to resolve this that is fine with me.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

It would be fine if I could find my stock CDI [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

For those that truly didn't notice any performance gain, you truly must have had a defective unit, or were already stretching your jetting to the limit. If yours is working correctly , you WILL know it, it's not a maybe I feel it kinda thing. My machine is considerably quicker and more powerful at all rpms...

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.