Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Does anyone have a timing light? Clamp it on and check the timing. Enough theorizing already.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

FYI, started mine 10 times today and no kickback. Maybe it will be okay.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: tuffEnuf
Creek Runner have you had any kickbacks since installing 650cca battery?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Yes. Although i rode all day today and probably started it 20 times and it never kicked back.

Old 04-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Range Rover

I started my p700 3 times today with out kickback, but the one thing I did not do was give it throttle while cranking it over, I did run it on level black top with a top speed of only 67 mph, $230 for 3 mph extra and it did take a long time to get there! I feel like I got RIPTOFF!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: hitman1970
I started my p700 3 times today with out kickback, but the one thing I did not do was give it throttle while cranking it over, I did run it on level black top with a top speed of only 67 mph, $230 for 3 mph extra and it did take a long time to get there! I feel like I got RIPTOFF!!!
Hitman, I'd be interested in buying your CDI if you'd like to part with it.

Old 04-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, just a thought, maybe that CDI has to "learn" how to start your quad ??? cars have to learn how to start in subzero weather... oh well maybe this CDI isn't that complex ???

Old 04-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mine does the kickback also. The big clunking ones are the ones that bother me. But, they only do it once in a while. If I stay on the starter it tends not to do it so much it seems. If short start it (let off at the first pop) it will be more likely to kick.

I'll eval the battery. If no change then I'll be sending mine back for a warranty check.

Keep us updated DynaScott.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I live out in the moutains of Montana and ride mine most every day I have probabley started it hundreds of times so far with no kick-backs not one. I dont know what this means to you guys but I can tell you that most of you guys dont even know how to test a system and are just spewing a bunch of usless crap. As I stated in a earler post that just looking at your conections and seeing 12 VDC at the battery means about as much as most of the useless posts on this subject. If any of you guys has a friend that has any real knowledge of say electronics ( maybe a degree or two like I have ) you could have them look at your system and maybe just maybe we all might learn somthing.

Old 05-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Chaos N MT

Did you leave your Holeshot Module attached, did you re-adjust your idle, Did you have to re-jet, and do you use a trickle charger? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Like how to spell the word something? Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

BTW, I too have a couple of degrees. One in economics and one in business. Neither is helping me to figure out whether or not I need to pull out the new cdi before it ruins my starter or worse.

I have had mine for two weeks now, and it has never kicked back. Did have to adjust the idle down. Runs great, no complaints so far, but this thread has got me thinkin.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.