Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

My CDI did the same thing. I spoke to Dyna. The Dyna CDI requires a certain voltage to operate. It is more critical than the OEM. What is happening is that your battery is alittle low on Voltage. The dyna CDI senses the lower voltage and shuts off during a cranking cycle when drawing alot of current This causes the voltage drop across the load(Starter).

So, clean your voltage regulator connections and charge your battery. Short runs down the street will deplete your battery. The problem will go away. I rode my P700 all weekend...not one hiccup. I made sure the battery was fully charged before I left.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

mine kicked back so hard that it now makes a pecking and grinding noise in the starter system. It never made a noise until yesterday when it kicked back. I sent dynatec an email asking for a fix for the starting problem or a refund. It runs good on the cdi but it just don't start well. I put the oem CDI back on an it starts good except
the starter noise I got yesterday.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

did this situation ever show up during the pre-production testing by some of the forum members here?

Old 04-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

sgtrock didn't say anything about this during his runs. Kissofdeath might have only started his machine 5 times with it. He never had that happen. I might have started mine about 15 times. I got two kickbacks.

I don't believe it happened to sgtrock. Dyna asked him about it. Sounds like Dyna is concerned about it. Could be that hammerman is the only person that has had a problem. Could be that hammerman is the first person with a problem to tell Dyna.

I told sgtrock what I know.

Hammerman, can you take the starter off and the left engine cover off (order a gasket) and look at all the gears for us? I would do it if it were here.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Mine hasn't kicked back and I have started and stopped mine about 30 times. No problems. A little stronger and higher idle, but thats it. Oh yea and a whole lotta extra power. LOL. Hope you figure out what it is incase it happens to mine.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

I never had the problem with the test unit and started it numerous times over the course of testing. I'm going to try a production unit out this weekend and will let you know if I have any issues.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 04-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Mine never has kicked back, either. I have started mine maybe 40 times. 87 octane.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

customfabandweld, I see you are hitting 71 mph. Is this with your speedometer? Do you think the 20 degree cam timing retard plays a major roll in your top speed?

Sorry to get off subject but I just noticed this and wanted to ask.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer

Nyroc, I will take the cover off as soon as I get a chance to see what happened. I have extended warr so I may run it to the dealer. Dyna sent me an email back and said to check the batt connections and if I still have problems I could send it back for testing. My buddy is wanting my cdi. I told him that i had a starting problem but he wants it any way for the same price i paid for it. I could buy another one later. Maybe they will look into the problem and develop a fix. I am the same person that hitman was talking about. If i dont have to work ot tomorrow i will look into it.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Range Rover

ALL THESE KICKBACK ISSUES CAN CAUSE PROBLEM, AS WHILE TESTING LAST WEEK WITH IGNITION I BROKE OFF FLYWHEEL KEY WITH THE HELP OF SOME MISFIRES. MINE WAS OUT OF TIME GIVING ME KICKBACK.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.