Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Is anyone having the starter kickback problem that does NOT have a module (DG, etc) installed?

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

I'm having problem with kickback on p700 completley stock. Seems to be worse when warmed up.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 PM
mrh
Trailblazer

I have had no kickback so far - but I have v-force cams in it.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

What it a "Kickback"

Old 04-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have not experiened a kickback, mainly because I don't have a dyna cdi yet. However, on other machines I have. The first thing that comes to mind is the starter one-way clutch. I think that it is the same manufacturer as the one-way bearing on Warriors and Raptors. This could be the source of the noise.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

This is the e-mail I got from Dynatek, my battery connections were loose when I bought the bike but I snuged them up, as far as a low battery goes this bike is ridden every weekend and for 60 to 80 miles at a time.

We have heard of this and to date this has been attributable to a low battery or poor battery connections. I have seen the posts in regards to this issue and I would like to clarify a few points. First, the Dyna FS CDI starts in EXACTLY the same place as the stock ignition. The added advance does not start until approximately 1800 rpm, well above idle, so this would not affect starting at all either. We do start after 1 revolution but in the several months of testing we did prior to the release of this application there were no reported issues with the starter and since the release there have only been 2 reported starter issues both traced to the weak battery condition noted above. I would suggest you check these items first and then if you like you may return the Dyna FS ignition to us for testing and evaluation. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely,

Scott Valentine
Dynatek Customer Service

Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I get a kick back once in awhile, does it have something to do with i still have my nabor modulator?
thanks

Old 04-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

92lt, thats what happen to mine the key broke and the motor wouldn't turn over. the one way clutch would turn both ways and the starter would wined. about a 2hr job to fix. plus had to go to 3 different shops to get a key. they all had to order.
the battery could have been part of the problem.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure if it's the nabor or not, I'm just trying to isolate the possible causes. I took out my DG before testing the Dyna and haven't put it back in. During the testing, I never had the starter issue so I'm wondering if it could be related to a module being installed. I'm not sure how that would cause the problem, but it's just a thought. NYROC is running the Dyna that I had for testing so I'm trying to figure out what is different from when I tested with it.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 04-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

I do not have a module installed anymore and I have experienced the "kickback" several times. Maybe 1 out of every 10 starts it will do it.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.