Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

SgtRock, I also tried the test CDI you sent nyroc. I also have the DG holeshot module and did not have any kick back. Granted I only started mine 3-5 times with the CDI but it still didnt do it. I will let nyroc tell his part.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have been having this kickback problem also. I bought my 02 p650 brand new and I never put any of the modules on it. I got over 4,000 miles on my bike now and not once has it kickedback. It started doing this the very next day after I put on the dyna cdi and now it does it atleast 1 out of every 8-10 times I start it.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Well has anyone with this problem checked the battery and connections? I deal with electronics for a living and this sounds very plausible to me. I also have put over a hundred miles on my DYNA CDI with not one kick-back. If any of you did do a check and still have the problem please let me know how and what you tested and checked. 12 VDC at the battery with no load means verry little you know. It also seems that more 02,s have a problem they have older batterys and connectons. I saw a post that

Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Range Rover

SgtRock, there is no module on my bike but Hammerman has the High Lifter module on his, I took my H/L module off before I put on the cdi. I decided to rejeck my battery connections this morning, they are snug.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Trailblazer

Battery connections are fine. Just installed a 650cca battery last week.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

what has to be done to the battery, is a full charge and ck connection along seeing how many amps the starter is drawing. not sure what factory specs are, but that would be a good place to start. just because the battery starts the bike doesn't mean the battery is good enough. get a good battery charger and try starting a couple times to see if it kicks back and then try without the charger a few more. that should show the problem if it's to do with the battery. also leaving the lights on so it can drain the battery a little and then try it. it's all about voltage. voltage to low and it will increase amps. loose connections cause amps to rise. low battery can cause amps to rise, when starter ingages. low volts = higher amps.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

I got some time to mess with my new CDI today. I had 2 kickbacks in 12 starts. Not a very good record. So far Im not that impressed with mine. It will take further testing and someone to help me with a stop watch.

I really dont buy into the weak battery thing. Even though my P650 is 19 months old I think my battery is in fine shape. Im really having mixed feelings about this CDI. Only thing that keeps me having faith in it is the test one I used from nyroc and the 2 mph gained on top end. I just need to test more with help. Im going to call Scott personally and see what he says about it.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't tried my Dyna yet, as I haven't got the 850 back from Mickey.

But I wanted to chime in just in case this works. Alot of other advanced "set" electronic ignition that I have worked with and read about all basically do the same thing.

First they retard the ignition timing, for easier starting and smoother motor running at idle. Then after a set point somewhere above idle they abvance the timing, in our case 33 dregrees across the band. that timing is held and is not reset until it is reset, by turning the key off and when it is restarted it start its cycle again.

I'm wondering if people aren't turning their keys off, just using there shut off buttoms on the handle bars and starting again in a few minutes, with it not being reset and still at 33 degrees, thus giving kick back because of timing being to high.

If this is the answer, then dyna owes me a CDI, if not then forget this post. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like Dyna is just going to slap us with low voltage, and not fix it? I'm not real impressed.

So, although my battery terminals are tight, and my battery cranks just fine, I still need a new battery? That isn't right. The CDI is not well designed if it can't take reduced voltage.

I wish DiamondG had produced a CDI to give us an alternative.

I really don't care if it kicksback. I do care about a starter problem. I hope that hammerman takes his starter apart to find out what is wrong.

I wonder if we could use a small subwoofer cap (big capacitor like people use in car audio) in conjunction with a large diode to provide some short term storage and keep the voltage up to prevent the kickback.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a thought...does everyone that has reported this kickback problem have their idle setting a little too high?

The reason I ask this is b/c I know that the Dyna cdi made my P650 idle higher when I first installed it and then I immediately adjusted the idle down to normal rpms. I haven't noticed a kickback problem on mine so far...so that begs the question, are folks who have the kickback problem also the same folks who left their idle setting alone after they installed the Dyna cdi (and thus, they currently have a high idle)? If so, maybe these folks should try to adjust their idle down to see if that stops the kickback problem. Its just a thought.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.