Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Talked to Scott today. He fed me the same ole song and dance about the battery. I will take it to VA in two weeks and put it through the test. If it doesnt give me gains and keeps up the kickback Im sending it back for testing. Scott said that was fine.

Shotgun, thats a good idea about the killbutton. I was using it when testing but didnt pay much attention to it. After eating I will check it out.

I left my idle speed alone when swapping out the CDIs.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

Traded my cdi to my buddy. I will just keep the old module. At least it starts. My buddy's new 700 also kicks back with the dyna. My starter is still making noise since the kick back. I wont have time to tear into it right now. It is still working and im going on a big ride soon.The pull
start works good so I can start it with that if needed. For you guys that still have them, send
it back for testing. 1 kickback is to many!.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:32 PM
mrh
Trailblazer

I do know I always use the key (habit) so I don't drain the battery

Old 04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

Add my name to the list of kickbacks. It's done it twice, in about 20 starts. Good battery and no other mods.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

SO do we really understand what is going on here ??? how is / what is the kicking back ???MIKEY's idea about the idle makes sense... most people are reporting a higher idle... could it be tied to the compression release ??? is it "kicking back" , like the old Harley kick starts used to when they'd fire on the wrong cylinder 1st ( is this what was happening here ... ) SHOTGUNS thoughts on the timing not resetting could be right, however, I doubt if everyone uses the shut off switch on the handle bar ( I know I never do )...I find it curious that when Dyna put out CDI's to test, that they varied the program on the production units... I said this on another thread, that I thought it sounds like the timing curve is ramping too quickly, as it sounds to me like it's pinging ( preignition ) ???? I'm still tapped out from the tax man, but I'd be willing to trade a standard DGR hole shot module & a naber module for a "bad" CDI to test, if anyone was interested...

Old 04-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

It would be logical to say "one kickback all kickback"....IMO
I dont understand why just some of the people with the Dyna CDI are experiencing this new phenomenon?????
I have the degree key and mine doesnt do it...
My H-D does it all the time....like standard proceedure

Old 04-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

The CDI does not have a memory of what the timing was when you shut it off. When you turn the key on, it should start off from scratch every time. Just for fun, everyone use the kill button before you turn the key off. Then turn the key on before you turn the kill back on. Please report the results.

Another thing. the preproduction CDI HAS advanced timing from the start, since it makes idle 100-150 rpm faster. Does the production CDI raise idle? Anyone know?

Newbeetle, the kickback is not a ping, it is the motor stopping due to an early fire on the compression stroke. It is not the compression release. That is all mechanical and would cause the EXACT problem on the stock CDI if it were bad. The starter won't crank fast enough for the comp release to disengage.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
Another thing. the preproduction CDI HAS advanced timing from the start, since it makes idle 100-150 rpm faster. Does the production CDI raise idle? Anyone know?
nyroc - do you mean the idle speed is faster than a stock CDI, or faster than a stock CDI with a module? If it's faster than just a stock CDI, you would expect that because it's not starting and idling using the reverse timing map as it does with the stock CDI. If it idles FASTER than a stock CDI WITH a module, then the advance at an idle is further ahead than what Dyna has claimed.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 PM
mrh
Trailblazer

Does it have any relation to cam timing? ie: wether you have stock cams, a degree key, rotated stock cams etc?

If you now have an advnced ignition and a retarded cam? I am running v-force cams and 92 octane gas in mine, but maybe it just has not happened to me yet.

I do have my idle set pretty low also.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

No, it could happen to you with your cams. That doesn't mean it will happen to you. It looks like it happens to a lot of us, but so far not all of us. A retarded cam will draw less air while starting, so if you did get kickback it would be slightly reduced.

Nova, the standard map and reverse map are identical from 0 to 1500RPM, so whether you have a holeshot of not, you have 5 degrees timing. Therefore having a holeshot wont change the idle speed (at 1100rpm). If your idle was set to 2500, then the reverse map would slow the idle down for 3 seconds and have no effect after that (basically holeshots do not affect the idle).

Looks like most of our machines idle faster with the CDI? Is that right?

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.