Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Some might have misunderstood my post, I don't explain things well.

There is no doubt in my mine the kick back is caused by advanced timing. I was trying to brain storm as to why we were getting the advanced timeing when it should be the same as stock. Not shutting the key of is the only thing I could think off. No expert, just trying to help.

It should be easy to test to see if in fact the battery is the problem. Someone haveing the kickback problem put a battery charger on their battery and try starting several times with the charger running and connected.

If no more kickback, that is the problem, or we move on to another theory.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well I see it must work well enough dispite the problems, that no one has taken me up on my offer to trade 2 modules for the CDI...LOL...

Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

This "kickback" problem is the same kind of issue that DG experienced with their 2nd cdi when controlling advance after one revolution. The stock Igniter uses an "analog mode" which is fixes the timing at 5 degrees by triggering off the leading edge of the TDC pulse. Then after 1500 RPM ignition control switches over to the microprocessor. That is why the Prairies will start much easier with an offset key installed without kicking back. The kickbacks would happen about 20% of the time on start-up, and would damage the starter motor and gears at $525 a set so DG never released it.

The Unlimiter device couldn't bypass the stock Igniters error checking code, which shuts off spark if the incoming signal is too far out of phase. This meant you had to advance timing gradually. It would work as a top end device, but even at 34 degrees, it would only help for 2-3 MPH on a stock machine, not very cost effective.

Using new test data from the newer version Igniter, DG designed the DG3 device as a cheap way to gain power across the entire powerband. They will not disclose the functional details about the DG3 beyond saying that it uses a microcontroller to modulate the output, unlike the Holeshot, HL power pak, and other devices that use a fixed frequency.

I still wish Kawasaki would sell a "race" version with new codes in it, life would be so much easier then. Then you would have all of the features, quality, and reliability of the Mitsubishi made device with extra power, all for only the $280 online price.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

633... thanks, I think this is starting to make sense, maybe ??? so the Dyna CDI is ramping up the timing after one revolution ??? & if the quad has not started in that revolution, then it has to start with a higher timing advance ???

Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

All this talk and the kickback issue makes me second guess myself now about going with the DGR3 and degree key which was my original choice over the CDI.

But you know what.....its never too late.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

I think the DG3 is an excellent choice for most people.

It looks like Dyna has made a huge mistake. Our batteries are fine. Telling us to put a battery charger on something that would start just fine with the stock ignitor does not sit well with me. I don't feel they did enough testing.

I might try the Vforce ignitor with a 4 degree key myself, but that is a really serious serious project. The plugs and wiring are different.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Creek Runner have you had any kickbacks since installing 650cca battery?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

You guys with the Dyna Module are saying that after you put it on, your idle rpm increases.

Well, there you go.

If the Dyna Module had the same idle timing as a stock module, your idle rpm wouldn't change.

Timing goes up, Idle goes up. Simple.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

I haven't had a any kickback problems with my 03 650, about 20 starts, always with the key.
Seems like some are having problems and others aren't.

1 Maybe the RPM sensor that controls the advance is not to precise, and sometimes it advances at idle RPM.

2 Turn the Key on and wait a few seconds for the CDI to stablize, then start.

Just some thoughts

Old 04-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I suggested earlier, I think everyone who is having the kickback problem should try to readjust their idle to a lower rpm (like normal) and see if that stops the kickback problem. I haven't noticed the kickback with my Dyna cdi and I readjusted my idle immediately after I installed the cdi and started it for the first time. Its just a thought and seems like no one above has ruled it out yet as a possible solution.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.