Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Wheelie Bars for the drag strip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelie Bars for the drag strip...

I'll be doing alot of testing this summer at a few close, regular drag strips... I have done alot of informal grass & gravel drags, but suspect that dragging on an actual drag strip will be an eye opener.... I thought I'd discuss with the tech check guy's some of my designs for a wheelie bar, before fabricating one... I have a custom reciever hitch on my quad, that I intend to use, to make an easy to remove wheelie bar... I thought I'd use aluminum square tube, that will slide into the reciever, & offset step weld several pieces, 3-4 at about 12" - 14" long, butt welding a "T" piece on the end, 12" - 14" wide, with a goal, of this "T" piece being about 2" off the strip... then adding a light weight axel ( or just studs ), & bolting on a pair of skate board or inline skate wheels... with a finished height of the tires about 1/2" off the strip, & a total length of 3-4 ft...

I though about trying to make it versitile enough to use on grass / gravel drags, & perhaps the tires could be changed out for something with a little larger diameter ???

Have any of you used or watched someone use a wheelie bar on a quad, & any suggestions before I undertake this project ???

Old 05-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I'm wondering if your going to bend your wheelie bar. I'm not sure how tough aluminum is, I'm trying to imagine it in my head how your wheelie bar is going to work. Maybe you could make it so its always in contact with the ground and put a shock on it and the frame of the quad. The shock would allow for movement and it would eliminate any momentum on take off. I think even 1" space could be trouble. With the shock though, it might compress to easily, so that might not work well, you might still wheelie.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

BRENT... like I said, I'll want to talk to the tracks tech check guys, as well... but I'd think I could nearly pick up the rear end of the quad, using 2" aluminum square tube ??? & as I'll be strapping the both ends down quite aways, I don't think it will achive enough momentum in an upwards direction, to over stress the square tube ???

Old 05-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

newbeatle when we built wheelie bars for cars that we used to drag race we always allowed some kind of spring or shock to absorb and soften the impact of the wheelie bar wheels hitting the ground. I saw some that didn't do this and you could see the tirelose some of there contact patch size when the wheelie bar slammed into the ground could cause the wheels to break loose and spin more than they would if the bar absorbed a small amount of movement to allow the tires to maintain a better contact patch with the ground. Would only need to move an inch or just a little more under resistance to help smooth out the force of the wheels coming into contact with the surface. Otherwise the force of the wheels being pressed against the ground tries to lift the axel. you will feel it when the bars come in contact with the track and it can be pretty harsh keeping the wheels adjusted so they are just off the track helps But we found on our cars that we wanted to allow a certain amount of front end lift to help push more of the weight into the tiress to help overcome spin. Just my experience with muscle cars and drag racing cars but I think it would apply to quads too. Bead locks will help so you can air down the rears a little more too. We used to use screws through the rims intot he beads to keep the tires from spinning on the rims.