Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

big hills V/S big tires..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big hills V/S big tires..

Where i ride we have this hill that the sport quads dominate. Only one 4x4 that i know of has made it up this hill and its my P650. With stock tires on i bearly have the power to pull over the top of this hill even with a 50ft wide open run, about 50% of the time i have to do a u turn on the hill because i either power out or spin out. I (think) im wanting to get some 26in mud lites on c searies wheels but im wanting to ask thoes of u who have them if ill lose any power? I dont want to be laughed at by my "sport quad buddies" because i cant climb "the deviles back" any more but i want a slighty bigger than stock tire that is ok in the mud but light enough that i wont loose any power... ANY COMMENTS??

Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

I would try dirt devils.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I also Like to climb hills! And have tried Hills On my Prairie that Only Motorcycles have climbed~LOL. The Sport Quad Guys don't even try. The 26in Mud Lite is much more of a mud tire then an all around. I have a set and don't really care for them, Just holding on for the snow and maybe a swamp romp I guess? Only a few rides on them and two already have slow leaks. I haven't had luck with any of the ITP utility wheels or rims and would stay away from the C-wheels. Cast Aluminum dont bend it Breaks! and dont care for the 12/7 off set all around either. I think if your wanting to keep your Prairie as fast as you can, I would try to stick with stock sizes. On both the Rims and Tires! I would go with a 25" wheel on a 12" Douglas .190 running the stock off set. Im a Maxxis Big Horns fan! But there a lot of other good ones? like Dirt Devils, Bearclaws, Goodyear Rawhides and Carlisle has come out with the Badlands XTR? and that might be one to try? If you feel adventurous?~lol. Just my opinion. ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 2-something-R
And a BUNCH of other Toyz!

Old 05-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

marylandatv... the hill im taking about is almost just like the one in ur pic (lose slate) except its a lil steeper than yours.. what did u climb it on?.. arent bighorns a lil heavy?

Old 05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Thats a big hill, hehe. The bigger tires will affect your hill climbing ability. You should go smaller, 22x10x12 holeshots on all 4 corners. You will get more wheelspin and more traction. Also slap in a DG3 module, it should help a fair bit climbing big hills. You could do some clutching so that you can get a little more RPM and it might rev faster.

If you need to get more extreme then pop in some V-Force cams, that will give you some more power. You can also degree your cams, I think thats what its called, for the same effect.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

A little steeper? WOW! I would Love to see a Photo of it! If your talking about the Motorcycle Hill Photo on my Web Site? I didn't make that one! I only got 10 feet from the top, that's about it! It was SUPER steep and there was a jump going half way up it, Got a little wheelie action going up!(But wasn't planing on it~PUCKER!~lol) It had a lip at the top, ohh and not much running room to get to it!~lol They said NO quad had ever tried. Just KTMs! But whenever somebody says its NEVER! been done or CANT BE! And lays out a few hundred dollars!!! its worth thinking about? Not that I need the money. I was just feeling a little crazy that day and also saw an area to bail and save Me and 600lbs of quad just in case (little trees to the right worked)-lol. Took 6 guys over a half hour just to get me down. Ive climb some big hills beleave me! Im just not sure if that photo really tells the whole story on that one? And dont think I will try it again. The coal hills on the other hand are mostly for Sport Quads and most are easy to turn around on all you need is HORSE POWER and the right tires to climb! (I sink in on most with the Prairie.) I like the Big Horn and never really noticed the weight. I got some bias bly horns coming and hear there lighter, But like the set up I have now a lot. ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 2-something-R
And a BUNCH of other Toyz!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

marylandatv... Pics never do a good hill justace!.. while your hill dont (look) quite as steep its a little bit longer then the one here, ours is only about 3/4 as long as yours...... BBERTRAM.. if i ran tires that small i would rip the under careage of my prairie off befor i even got there, But i apreasheate the help any way..lol... dose any one have any tire sugestions?

Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of hill is this? Ruts and rocks all the way up? Well, if you need bigger tires go for the ATR's. They are lighter and give good traction.