Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How does DS650 Baja X compare to the V-Force?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does DS650 Baja X compare to the V-Force?

Originally posted by: mrh
I have ridden them both a lot. And a preference would depend a lot on your riding areas. Day to to day I prefer the v-force because of its easy of riding and you really need some wide open terain for the ds to show it is faster. We put air shocks on the front of the v-force and it rides just as well as the ds. If I want to go out and jump big or go high speed cross country the ds is better. If I am going to ride tight trails in the mountains I don't like the ds. The v has better ground clearance and the auto is much faster than shifting. In the mountains you are always shifting the ds. If you have faster more open trails then the ds would be fine.
Air shocks? Do you have the Fox Air Shox? If so do you like? If not, what do you have. And do they loose air sitting in the garage, or after a hard ride?

Old 06-25-2004, 12:59 AM
mrh
Trailblazer

Yes the fox air shocks - they really don't loose air but they come with a little pump so it only takes a minute to adjust them. They are great, ran them on a few sleds this winter also. they are about 10 lbs lighter and can be adjusted to your riding for the day easily. Spendy though.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: brewster2003

I heard that the DS was not previously good on trails, however I think the Baja X version is lighter and lower with the intent to make it a good trail machine. Have you tried this newer version?
If you are considering the Baja X because it is lighter than prior DS650s, then why not consider the Viper Red DS650? The regular (red) DS weighs 25 lbs less than the Baja X DS. Are the exhaust pipe cladding, nerfs, tachometer, etc, really worth 25 more lbs on a sport quad?

I had two V-Forces before getting this DS650. The DS is 46 pounds lighter than the V-Forces were, and I am now 25 lbs lighter than I was, ... 71 lbs less weight makes a BIG difference in performance. I don't do a lot of tight trails, but for the riding I do (dunes, desert, and mountains) the DS is working out better for me.

And as for the new DS650s being "lower", that is not the case. They have the same gound clearance and same suspension travel numbers as prior models, with the exception of a half inch less rear suspension travel because the swingarms are an inch shorter. The DS is already as low as it can possibly be, with 11.7" of ground clearance under the frame, and 12" of suspension travel. Just in case you were wondering, that means the last quarter inch of suspension travel is "below ground suspension travel". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That little fact only comes up when you really air out a DS650. I had been doing some 70 to 80 foot jumps at the dunes with my DS, and noticed a trench in the sand between my tire marks where I was landing each jump, so started doing some measuring, and sure enough, ... below ground suspension travel.