Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KX500 balanced crank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 01:43 PM
US Army lifer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KX500 balanced crank?

I am looking for input about balancing cranks on non-counterbalanced two stroke engines, especially CR and KX 500s. I am trying to find out how much they reduce vibration when placed in a quad frame. If there is one thing that most people will learn about me, I ask a lot of questions, and I constantly come up with many different ATV projects. I am coming around to the idea of a KX500 powered quad again (I've wanted to build this for years but couldn't afford it), so that's why I am asking about crank balancing. A KX500 could shake so bad that it kills unborn children, and I don't want any of that. If worse comes to worse, I already have blueprints drawn up for a rubber mount system. I just want something very different from the thousands of Hondas I see everytime I am at the dunes. Plus, I'm a Kawasaki guy, and I'm sick of not having any good "true" Kawasaki powered quads, excluding the V-Force. I don't want a V-Force because of the auto tranny or a Tecate because thay are too hard to find parts for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ooops, I forgot to mention the type of riding I'll be doing and powerband I am in search of. I will ride almost exclusively in the dunes. I will venture to a motocross track every once in a while, but will be on the sand 95% of the time. I live four miles from Little Sahara in Oklahoma. I prefer a low-to-mid powerband. I hate drag racing, so top-end really isn't imporatnt to me at all. Torque means a lot because I average about 220lbs. most of the time.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:36 PM
US Army lifer

No one here has ever had any experience with balancing a crank? I have this topic posted on many sites, and still haven't gotten any info.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if the KX engine in it's current form is badly out of balance from the factory, there isn't much that could be done to fix it. If it could be done, Kawi would have done it from the start.
There was a company in the central US that put CR250 engines in 400EX frames and sold them basically as new quads. I can't remember the name of the company, it was in either a Dirt Wheels or 4-wheel/ATV Action article within the past 2 years. They might be able to offer some advice. A search of the Honda forum might bring up the name.