Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

My opinion: they are ugly, new truck is better looking than previous model. GM trucks have the edge on power and they last longer. Fords are a pain in the *** to work on at times. From my experiences and occupations, I will always choose a GM truck over a Ford. And this forum provided plenty of info for the original topic posted.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The update tailgate cables have been out for several months now. GM just never told anybody so they could avoid the rush of people to the delaership to get there cables replaced

Old 08-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

As I said before, I replaced 2 sets of cables on my '98 chevy but apparently the recall applies to '99 and up. I wonder why? What would GM do if the tailgate became damaged when the cables broke? Up here, the cables are about $40. a pair. A quick cash grab for GM I figure, built in obsolesence as Alvin Toffler once said.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope your buddys wife didnt hurt her butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

No one was injured.

Old 08-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

chevy ppl anoy me....
last night i saw a commercial that sed ford is the best selling pickup in the world not the us the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ford is the oficial truck of- nascar,NFL,cabelas,Olimpics i can go on and on but you gmc/chevy ppl will never get it thru your thick heads... FORD IS THE BEST NO WAY WILL A CHEVY OUT TOW PUSH DRIVE O NO THERE I GO AGAIN JUST SO MENY RESONS THAT MAKE FORD BETTER!!!!!!

never will i drive a chevy! mark my words.

Old 08-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

My quad is better than your quad, just with trucks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HughJazz
The update tailgate cables have been out for several months now. GM just never told anybody so they could avoid the rush of people to the delaership to get there cables replaced

i have been avoiding this thread for some time just because of the same ole brand war crap like from atv's. i knew it would happen and it did. anyways, the tailgate straps have not been out for a couple months, the recall letters have been out for an couple months. gm put out the letters and their vender backed out on them. as of today they still dont have anyone to make them. the new date thet are telling us is late oct. for those that dont know, im a service advisor at a chevy dealer, thats how i know this.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] My nephew was sitting on the tailgate of a 2000 chevy, he leaned back to take a drink of water and the tailgate cables broke while he was leaning back. He slid down when the tailgate dropped and bang the back of his head on the truck. He could not get his balance because he was leaning back. He died from the blow to his head 3 days later. I know of 2 other deaths due to the cables breaking and the tailgate dropping. It really irratates me that GM claims that their trucks are "Professional Grade" "Best Built Trucks" "Like a Rock" common on, get real. If that were the case they would not have put a cheesy part on a $25K+ truck. How many people use these truck not just for transporting ATV's but for business use, loading and unloading materials not knowing the cables could break and they would fall.

Do yourself a favor and check out www.vrstraps.com, they are stainless steel straps like what we used to see on trucks.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. It's never seizes to amaze me to see the quality of american vehicle's parts going downhill as the result of cutting prices. It's pretty sad that automakers know there are part failures and yet wait for people to loose their lives over it before they decide to issue campaigns or bulletins and distribute the replacement parts or issue repair procedures.

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables