Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

Noone expects it to happen to them, but when it does it's really irritating. I posted some information on a Chevy discussion site and was slammed by some of the members. It seemed in thier eyes noone should be using the tailgate and you are an idiot if you were on it and it broke.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Unfortunately, that is the kind of response you get from "brand loyal" idiots. To even suggest that you shouldn't use your tailgate for supporting a real life load is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Tell those guys to come here and we will have an intelligent conversation of the matter and set them straight. I would like to thank them as well; they are only supporting the manufacturers decision not to take care of the problem.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Just4kicks...my thoughts exactly!

Old 09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Just4Kicks. I understand where you are coming from. After getting slammed when trying to make them aware of the issue, I figured that they were not worth my time. My mission was simple, I did not want some other family have the same thing happen to them. G.M. is now in legal negotiations with my brother, the theme is 'keep it quiet and we will pay you off' so GM can dodge a class action lawsuit. Unfortunetly there is specific limits in my state for how much you can be awarded, not that any amount of money will replace the loss.

Thank you all !

Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

This happened to a buddy of mine while unloading his Griz. Both cables snapped as the back wheels where comming off the ramps to the ground. No one was hurt and the only thing damaged was his tailgate. BTW I own an '02 FORD F-250 V-10 and have only had one problem. The after market (but dealer installed) remote starter died. I drop my tailgate every time i open it and just looked at the cable and everything is fine. As far as Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge - The only thing those guys beat me in is gas milage!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

My turn to chime in... First of all brewhammer, I am sorry for your loss. This shouldn't have happened. I also have an '02 2500 Silverado that I can't wait for the lease to be up. My cables also broke while unloading a $10k lawnmower that I use for landscaping. Fortunately no one or thing was hurt, but the tailgate. I use my Silverado to transport both quads in a T layout with the Predator on the top and the P700 loaded partially on the tailgate. Maybe I should rethink this? I got the notice 2 days before the cables broke. As for the preference in trucks: I've owned the big three and all I can say for Chevy is THANK GOD I HAVE A 3yr/36k warranty. It's a 4yr lease and I know I will be going with one of the other 2 for a replacement. The '02 has been towed in twice and in the shop at least every 3 mos. I may have just gotten a bad one, but I am not willing to try it again. Thanks for posting this, I hope this helps someone.

Dogg

Old 09-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear about your loss Brew...
I own a 2000, and this believe it or not is the first I have heard about these cables giving out.
I guess I'll be checking mine out ASAP!
I agree, why couldnt they just put the stainless ones on at the factory??

And, as for Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge, they all have their strengths, and they all have their
weaknesses. Just cuz Ford outsells the other two doesnt mean they are better. That is
just a matter of opinion.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Folks,

I was doing some research online last night and found on August 25th a firefighter in Ohio was killed when the cables broke and he fell off. They were cleaning up after a charity event. It was a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.. Man! A firefighter. Looks like Chevy is gonna get a bit more than a gentle reminder about the cables now. I went to the dealer the other day because as the letter I had gotten stated that in Q3 of this year they will get replacement units for customers trucks to be installed at no cost to them. And the guy said that well we're still waiting and blah blah blah, granted we're in Q4 making it sound that it's not quite a recall. Makes ya wonder how many people hafta die before they get their a$$es in gear on something like this. My condolences on your loss Brew..............

Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey folks .. just in case some of you have 1998-1999 GMC or Chevy's ..

Federal safety regulators have reopened and expanded an investigation into General Motors Corp. pickup trucks after receiving 73 reports of breaking tailgates.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Tuesday it was investigating GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickups from the 1998 and 1999 model years.

There are reports of 19 injuries but no deaths due to tailgate breakage on 1998 and 1999 Sierras and Silverados, NHTSA said. GM also has received 11,560 warranty claims related to the problem.
This is the second time NHTSA has investigated tailgates on the 1999 Sierras and Silverados. The agency in March had said there weren't enough reports of breakage to include those vehicles in the recall.

NHTSA decided to reopen the investigation and expand it to 1998 vehicles last week after getting more data.

There are more than 1.4 million 1998-99 Silverado and Sierra pickups on the road.

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables