Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

... OK-- we really need to turn up the heat here, folks. The cable on the other side of the gate broke yesterday while loading the quad. Fortunately nothing was damaged; gate me or the quad, but man- that's it- I can't go on like this. How are we supposed to load and unload our quads like this?

Old 10-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on board with you ! The "no deaths"part of the statement is a complete lie. Since they are a big corporation they get away with it, at least for now. I have e-mailed NBC, CBS, ABC, Dateline, 60 Minutes, 20/20 etc. etc. etc. with details, noone cared to respond. Big surprise. I am sure if a senator's son or daughter were killed there would be some action. Sad isn't it !

Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i know it's sad what we have to deal with these days.
sorry bout your loss .

Old 10-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Good news folks! I got a letter from GMC inviting me to make an appointment at my convenience to replace the tailgate cables on my truck; at their cost! Just a little bit over a week after I snapped the second one. My faith in the industry has been restired. But still-- there are some things that free new cables will not replace, unfortunately.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI: Just got the replacement tailgate cables installed on my 2000 chevy p/u at the dealer this morning...it took only 20 minutes (thats fast for my dealer) and I no longer have to worry about it. Funny thing was that the new cables have a little sticker on them that says "Made in China"... now I ask you, is that supposed to be comforting? I mean no disrespect, but what do the Chinese know about pick-up trucks? hehe

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

I have been told that these made in China replacements are not the stainless type, and these replacements are to suppress the vast demand. My replacemnts have this sticker on them as well, and I had mine replaced close to 2 months ago. Again, this is what I was told by a GM dealer partsman.

I do know that the stainless replacements were not available 2 months ago. Any light to be shed on this subject?

Old 10-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

All I can tell you folks is that according to the notice I received in March, the new 'stainless steel' cables were to be available by 3rd quarter. Companies can define 3rd quarter differently, so I guess it was GM's way of being as vague as possible. I am not surprised they are not made in the U.S. since most of our manufacturing job are overseas now along with more and more I.T. jobs. I work in the I.T. world and see more and more programmers from other countries. I hate not seeing "Made In the U.S.A." ! My 2004 still has the old cables, the service guy told me last week that the cables I have are fine. I told him my story and the story of 2 others. We did not end our conversation on a good tone. I just don't understand how a company can use such cheesy parts on a truck that supposed to be "Professional Grade".

Old 10-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

with all the aftermarket crap everyone puts on the atv's and all the fixs the do there selves that you guys would just fix the prob yourselves after all it wouldn't cost much and you would have the piece of mind that it was right.

My girlfriend is a sevice manager of a chevy store I will inquire about this recall.
Being that it is not a safety item I cannot see how it would be.
I have worked on GM I own GM
I have Have worked on FORD more Recently I still own GM
I would rather have cables braking than balljoints failures at 20000 to 40000 miles and spark plugs blowing out of v8 and v10s and taking the threads with them......which are ford probs

Old 10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I heard Ford had some issues with diesels stalling, but not with the spark plugs blowing out of the block. I owned a 88 Ford p/u where the paint flaked off in the first year, a Toyota 4 Runner that never had any issues, 97 Ford Expedition that needed ball joints at 45000 miles. I was hoping the Chevy p/u was going to be as good as they claimed, perhaps as carefree as the Toyota. It just makes me sick that we shell out 20-30-40K for these beasts.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

Actually there is special tool made by tool dealers ,MATCO,SNAP-ON etc...,just for rethreading these heads because the plug hole is so deep in the head.

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables