Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

Howdy Gang,
I received my letter from G.M. and took it to the dealer. As I pulled into the dealer, I saw the mechanic in the driveway replacing the cables on another truck. I just pulled in line and within 15 minutes , had my new cables installed. While he was installing mine, another truck pulled in behind me for his cables. I live in a small town and at least 75% of the vehicles are pick ups. I guess he must have spent the whole day installing cables. Have a goodun!!

Old 10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well now I am just curious whether the replacements are stainless or not. I know GM was replacing broken cables with galvenized ones until the stainless ones were available. Can anyone shed some light ?

Old 10-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

we now have the stainless steel ones in.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Both of my cables broke on my 03 Z71 last weekend when I was unloading the Vforce.Went to the dealer,they wanted me to leave my truck to put them on.I told them I did not have time,gave them my name and VN# off the truck and they gave me brand new set.I had to bring the old ones back for them to return to Chevy.Im just glad that it didn't dent or scratch my tailgate.My ATV ramps that I have screw to the tailgate with a ****.They are very strong and I think this is what saved my tailgate. PS-When they broke,I all most sh-- my pants(that would left a mark)

Old 10-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am glad to hear you did not get hurt nor that you had to change your undies. I see lots of loading ramps out there for sale and almost all the pictures show them connected to the tailgate. I did see one photo where there was a bracket that was inserted into a Reese hitch and came out away from the truck so the ramps actually connected to it. It looked like a pretty good idea considering, only trouble I saw was you still had to drive over the tailgate. Perhaps it's better to be part way up and have the cables break than being completely on the gate itself ?

Old 10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..... Got my new cables on Monday, I'm just happy that they were replaced, as both of the originals were already gone. Well-- see what comes next.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Mudcon
we now have the stainless steel ones in.

Are they tagged with the "MADE IN CHINA" label?

Old 10-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

China's Finest(cheap junk)

Old 10-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello to all ATV'ers. My name is Jeff Woolf and my father is the former firechief/firefighter that was killed by the faulty tailgate straps supplied on GM trucks. PLEASE take notice and pass the word not use the tailghates for anything but opening and closing them until they can be fixed properly. My dad and myself were avid atver's. We spent many summers at the Silver Lake sand Dunes in Michigan and now I will never or my son have the opportunity to do this as Grandpa, father and son/grandson. I am so angered that GM did not step up and do a better job at notifing the public of this hazard before people die. I miss my dad sorely but only the anger towards GM fuels my need to get the word out about this debacle of informing the public of a severe and fatal hazard. The truck he was on was only 6 months old and the owner also did not receive anytype of notification about the problem. He was a dedicated husband, father, grandpa citizen of the community and business owner that was robbed of a full life. I feel cheated as I am only 32 and feel we would have had many more years to spend together. I have a new daughter due soon and he was so proud of becoming a grandfather again. Unfortunatley, my daughter and 20 month son will only know their grandpa's greatness from what the learn from me and our family as well as the community he loved so much. Please be careful until you get the problem rectified as I do not want any other family or person to go through what my family and myself have from this unexpected and totally avoidable accident.

Here' an article on DAD.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=39&id=34712

Feel free to e-mail if you would like at Jeff_woolf@yahoo.com or [email]jwoolfman@msn.comArticle

Old 10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeff,

My sympathy goes out to you and your family, it's a senseless loss. I lost my 19 year old nephew on May 9th in the exact same senario. I have been in touch with the Chief of the fire department, his name escapes me, and tried to pass on as much information as I could about our situation. I will be in touch later with more details to your e-mail personal address.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Michael

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables