Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Difference in aceleration from stock to mudlights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in aceleration from stock to mudlights?

I was wondering if anyone has tested to see how much you would loose with 26" m.l or maxis bighorn radials in a drag race over stock tires. On gravel would you hook up better and make up for the tire weight?

Old 08-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

i dunno...you should buy them both and tell me how it goes i am in a tire dilema myself...

Old 08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know if 1" is going to make a huge difference with this machine, how ever I never rode with the stock tires on mine, I got 27" 589's now and it still kills a grizzly in a race. I think with the gain of traction off road that it will probably accelerate the same

Old 08-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

The mud lights with highlifter rims were 58lbs heaver. I think it accelerated slower but wondered if anyone raced or timed these.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Mudlights hook up as much as you would ever want. To much I say with clutch noise.
Go with the lighter tire.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

On pavement the mudlights don't seem to hook up for me. The stockers wheelie better.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Travelor did you read that the knock problem I blamed on the dyna cdi and 4 degree key is actually a clutch problem.
To many drag races and clutch is making a knock.
I need to beef up clutch I guess.
My mudlights grip very well maybe to much.
700 miles and clutch is making noise.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:53 AM
Trailblazer

hey,travelor The 700 is a powerful machine but even so I noticed a big differance in performance when using the maxxis bighorns and comparing them to stock. The bighorns look awsome and will perform well on most any terrain. But they are HEAVY and will reduce your acceleration. I don't have any actual times for you but I'm going by feel and by comparing it to side by side runs with another machine. With stock tires I can easily out accelerate my sons 400 two stroke scrambler at any speed. With the horns, the take off is very close and when side by side at any speed,when we both nail it, I don't walk away from him nearly as fast as I would using the stock tires. I also have the bighorns mounted on ITP rims which are a bit heavier than stock. I am using a K&N air filter and black spring. If you can keep the bighorns for rough trail riding and the stock tires for burnouts and top acceleration times. GOOD LUCK.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider

Going to 26"Mudlights shouldnt make that much of a difference, they are some added weight but ARE lighter then many other comparable tires! The weight will be gained with 27+ and Wheels.

I am considering 26"Mudlights with DeltaWheels, or CSeries Type6's.......

just my 2cents

Old 08-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

Go to itptires.com and click on mudlights. There you will see the actual weights of those tires and others. I've decided to try the 25" mudlights mounted on itp series type 5 wheels. I know the 25" lugs are not as tall/aggressive as the larger tires but thats ok. I'm not looking for a pure mud tire. I just want a light weight tire that gets good traction on the average trail surface,is durable(6ply),smooth riding and just performs better than the stock tire. I know that some people like mud lights and some don't as this is true with any tire. I should be getting them this week and I will report on them later to whom ever is interested. Later.

Quick Reply: Difference in aceleration from stock to mudlights?