Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF Big Problem, Exhaust is glowing Cherry Red!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF Big Problem, Exhaust is glowing Cherry Red!

I decided to go with the BF and bought it today. Was riding at 10:00 pm tonight with some friends around and noticed it was feeling kinda hot. Then when I had about 5 miles on it it started making a clanking noise. I figured it was the headerpipe bolt recall thing. It started getting louder and I asked my friend to ride next to me and listen to it. He got up next to me and told me to stop imediately. When I got off we all looked at the pipe and the whole exhaust pipe from the front header to the very back exhaust was glowing cherry red, at night. That is well over 1000 degrees F to get a metal pipe that hot.

I am going back first thing monday morning and I want a new BF or a fix or my money back. I loved the way it rode but I will get another ATV that wont have such serious issues if it comes down to it. I was driving around very easy and breaking it in very good, and with only 7 miles total on the ATV now there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE!

I suggest ALL of you brute force owners to ride at night and get where it is pitch black, shut off the machine after it has been running for a lil bit, and look at the header/exhaust pipe before things get to bad. Even if they offer to fix it for me, am I still looking at long term damage on the engine from extreme heat??
Should I push for a new quad instead of them just checking it out. I dont want the engine to give out in the long run.

Hope this will help others out there, and please give me some advice back

Thanks,

Brandon

Old 09-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

That is an easy fix. You are running way to lean. Go up in jet size by 2 or 3 sizes and check that out. Your pipes shouldn't glow once you get the jetting right.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

what squatcher said

your too lean (not enough fuel)

You will surely burn you motor up if you continue without jetting properly

Old 09-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

This is a new machine, probably running at or near sea level as TexasATVs is likely located in Texas. Short of the wrong jet installed from the factory (not likely), it's probably not lean.
I'm assuming that the rear cylinder pipe was not red. If the front head pipe is loose at the head, the scavenging effect from the rear cylinder exhaust charge pulsing through the exhaust will cause the front pipe leak to suck in air. This will cause any unburned gases in the pipes to burn up, thus the red pipe.
Fix the leak and see what happens.
Oh, and welcome to the forum, TexasATVs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

i agree probally loose at the header.exhaust will glow at night,have had many vehicle exhaust especially bigger trucks glowing red hot.no engine damage from that.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Brandon.

Have the same problems myself. The pipes on my new bute force go cherry red aswell and it misses at low speed. I'm having zero luck with my dealer or kawasaki. Wondering how you made out and what the fix was if any.

Thanks
Tim

Old 10-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

welcome to the connection tim

Old 10-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

A co-worker has a BF. I had read here how the side got hot and was uncomfortable. I asked him about it. He said the timing must have been really retarded because after adding a module (didn't ask if it was the DG or the High Lifter) the thing ran better and cooler as well.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

Ill ride my brute all day and no cherry red pipe. Even at night still no cherry red pipe.