Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Frozen rear break cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen rear break cable

I went riding in Northern MN this weekend and found that my rear brake cable was frozen. I may have gotten some water in there when cleaning etc. After it warms up enough to thaw, it works as it should. Any idea how to remedy this? I had to back the adjuster off just to take it off of the trailer.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

Take the rear brake cable off the machine and then dry it out inside the house, get a pressure-lube type of fitting (they come with the can for some types of pressure lube brands) and put in some silicone-based oil, working the inner cable back and forth to work it in. Before you remount the cable, slip some fairly tight O-rings over the inner cable at each end, right next to the outer cable to keep the dirt out, or buy some concertina-type rubber end boots for the cable at a bicycle shop. Do this every fall and also remember to clean out and re-lube the cable whenever you get it muddy or well-dunked, as the oil will carry abrasive grit into the outer cable and then wear out the inner cable. If all that is too much hassle, then just fit a new brake cable every fall and carry a small butane torch to heat it up if it freezes up. Would it ever be a good idea if one of the accessory makers would come up with a water-tight cover for the whole rear end of the brake-arm and cable-end, where it joins the rear axle, or maybe an electrical heater with a switch, for that end of the cable.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

ya mean ya mighta got some BEER in der dontcha?

Old 11-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

as a regular Minnesota snow rider, I always relube all my cables every "late fall"... it pushes out whats left over from the summers "fun", & the lube helps keep melting snow out...

Old 11-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not saying that it isnt the brake cable, but I had a similar problem with mine. The cable moved freely, but the lever going into the rearend is what was actually freezing up. I kind of just ignore it right now since I dont ride in the winter much(I'm away at school), but I think if you put some grease over the opening it should be ok. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please cause I want to do the same thing to mine.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

The lever moves freely, the cable does not. I backed the adjuster off all the way, and the lever returned to it's proper position. Thanks for the replies people, I will try to remove and lube the cable this weekend.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

gtchief,
I had the lever freeze up on my kfx 700 as well.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Mine was froze earlier this spring. I was going to buy a new cable if necessary but removing the cable did not look like a fun job so...

I disconnected the cable at both ends, made a small funnel that sealed to the lever end of the cable, filled the funnel with a light oil and let gravity do it's thing over night. By morning I had oil coming out the other end of the cable. An old trick I learned about 20 yrs ago, still works good. Reconnected and adjusted, no problems since. HTH

Old 12-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I finally took the cable off. I hung it with the crimped end down in a heated garage for about 1 hour. You would not believe how much water finally came out. It looked to be about a 1/8 cup worth. I am going to leave it hung up over night and reinstall it. It wasn't very difficult to take out, it only took about 10 minutes. It will go in a lot quicker now that I have it out. If anyone else is having this problem, it is easier to resolve than you think.