Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

prairie spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prairie spark plug wires

I was out riding this past weekend and all the sudden my quad just died out. After about a half hour of changing spark plugs and seeing there is no spark we discovered that the rear wire was pulled out of the boot and the actual wires were screwed up. We ended up cutting the boot to get a good connection and that was a temporary fix. I was actually kind of funny going down the trail doing 30mph and all the sudden having it die out. Anyways the whole point of this is that I now need to replace the wire and the boot(about $53 from Ron Ayers) and I dont want to have to spend that money. Can anyone think of a cheaper permanent fix? Thanks alot guys.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

Take the wire to your local parts store and see what they can find.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

When I was looking at the parts diagram it appearded that there is some kind of plug on the other end of it. Any idea if it is even possible to match it up? I'm away at school now and my quad is home. So I want to have what I need so I can fix it as soon as I get back home. If ordering the parts is what I need to do then I will, but $53 ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

I replaced both my plug caps with NGK caps I got at my Honda dealer. Just trim the wires a little to get a good end on them (clean tight braid) and "screw" the wires into the caps. I did this because the stock caps wanted to leak electricity when wet and, if I remember right, they only had a spike for connection not a "screw" like the NGK caps do. To check, wait 'til dark and start her up. Mist with a spray bottle of water. If you see a light show, replace the caps.

Anyway, regular NGK plug caps from any bike shop work and are only a coupla bucks - sorry can't remember the actual price.

That's if your wires are broke at the plug end - you didn't really say... at the coil end, they just "unscrew" and you can trim the end of the wire a little and "screw" them back in.

Plug wires from any auto speed shop should work ok if they are braided wire and not radio resistor type. But you probably don't need to replace the wires, just trim back a little at the end to get to good wire inside.

Hope this helps save ya a coupla bucks.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

It should just be the end going onto the spark plug that is bad. So I can just trim that up and get an NGK rubber boot part and I'm good to go? If this is the case I am very happy right now. Thank you so much.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, indeed that could be it. Your regular stock plug cap might be just fine, but it only has a spike for connection instead of a "screw" like the better quality ngk caps. I looked up the price, they are only about $3.50 and they are STRAIGHT.

Here's a pic picture

and here's a link link to yamaha site

But, you probably just need to cut about 1/4 inch off the end of the wire to get to "good" wire and push it back in the stock plug cap.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I would just use the stock cap but we kind of sliced it. I'll just pick up an NGK, the price is right. Thanks again for all your help. You just saved me $50.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

Good idea to get a new one. The old one will probably leak spark to the head now.....

Always shoot for the cheap solution first! That's my motto! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]