Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KLR650 powered Mojave??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need everyones opinion. I'm looking to install a KLR650 motor in my Mojave, if it doesn't sell. Has anyone heard of this mod being done before, and if so, was it hard. The motor configuration looks very similar. I checked the specs on a 1997 KLR650 and the stock motor puts out 48hp! Let me know people!

Old 03-28-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a post very similar to this one just weeks ago. It is going to take some major work to do this conversion. The stock Mojave motor is so tight inthe frame that there is barely enough room to take the valve cover off. The 650 motor is going to be taller and wider so the frame will have to be modified. I personally don't think the end result would be worth the time, money and effort. I have not even seen wider a-arms or longer swingarms available for the Mojave. Your best bet, if you want something faster, is to buy a new DS 650 or Raptor. I've seen a lot of the homemade conversions featured in magazines and the final product always leaves a lot to be desired. The machines look funny, don't handle, nothing fits quite right, don't have air boxes, etc. Motor conversions in ATVs arn't like those done in cars where the same frame/chassis may have carried everything from a 4 banger to a V-8.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I posted in what rockrider is talking about. I thought about this swap alot. I went to the kawi dealer and measured a klr 650 engine while it was in a new bike. Nothing overly scientific but it is a good bit taller than the mo engine. I believe that it would require lowering the bottom of the frame or raising the top and gas tank. You might want to look at a Lakota frame. It is lowered just under the engine section as compared to a mojave because the 300 is taller than the mo 250. The 650 may go in it and then all your mojave stuff would fit right on the Lakota frame. most people think a lakota and mo frame are the same, but they are not. you need to check and see if the 650 has a counterbalancer. If it does not it may shake you to pieces in a quad. I never checked on the balancer once I decided not to do the swap because of the heighth of the 650. I am now going to use a 500 from a Ninja/ex500. the only bummer is that a two cylinder is not legal in a lot of racing unless it came as a production quad motor.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. The reason to go with the KLR650 engine instead of the 500 Ninja motor is weight. DirtWheels said that the conversion added 120lbs to the Mojave's overall weight. That's 520lbs! They also said that the Custom AXIS shocks they installed on it only did a moderate job on handling the bottoming out of the green giant. Also, from looking at the detail pictures and then compairing them to my MO, Doug Roll did allot more fabrication than he's letting on to. A custom belly pan had to be made to protect the 500 motor, not to mention the lower engine/frame rails were spread. ALSO, if you look closely, they shaved the control arm mounts off the frame and moved them forward one inch. It took a while to catch that one, but I did.

The 500 stock motor puts out around 60 horses. The KLR650 motor, which is counter balanced, puts out 48hp stock. Thats a better power to weight ratio.

I plan on MX racing the MO after the conversion. Truthfully, which one would you rather use for MX? The heavy 500 motor, or the lighter 650?

Old 03-29-2001, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

do you know the weight of the two engines(just the engine). I am curious what the difference is. The frame the 500 went in was one of the xcountry racers from 4 stroke tech. they move the a arms further to the front of the frame on their regular mojaves. It is very easy to do. The axis shocks were also shocks from a regular race mojave and not set up for the additional weight.
shocks set up right would help. I dont like the idea of being 500 lbs. either. The 500 does have a sump on the bottom that hangs below the frame rails, but making or modding a skid for that would be easy too.

Have you ever thought of using a 300 engine from the kawi dirt bike and boring and stroking it to 365 or better. It is reported to get almost 50 hp with that set up. Problem is the big bucks for the bore and stroke kit. I dont have them.

I wish kawi made something like the yzf426. A high output kawi engine in the 400 to 450 cc range would be awesome in a mojave. we can only hope. If you find out more about the 650 swap let me know. Check out a lakota frame and see if the extra room is enough.

Old 03-30-2001, 06:23 AM
Trailblazer

I think the scale at dirt wheels was off a bit. I have moved the Ninja 500 engine in my garage several times now, and its not that much heavier than the stock 250 eng. Take care, Bryan

Old 03-30-2001, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have thought alot about this and desided to just build the fire out of my stock 250. I'm going to talk to Mickey Dunlap, if I can get in touch with him, about the same 411cc engine he did for Team Green's Mojave in 1999.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Lurch, someone has the 4ll cc 99 team green mojave for sell in the classifieds here on this sight. It has the a arms moved forward and extended an inch, a +2 swing arm, billet wheels and lots of other stuff for 5800 bucks. check it out. you will spend a few thousand just for the 4ll job.

What part of Ga are you in? where do you race most?