Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Strongest Rims and bumpers for Prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongest Rims and bumpers for Prairie?

Hi All,

I am at the point where I need to find the strongest rims and bumpers for my P650. The factory rims bend like tacos weekly. I can pound them back into shape, but that only lasts a few times until the beads will not hold air any longer. In addition. I have gone through 3 front bumpers. I can bend them back, but only a few times before they break. I would like recommendations on the strongest aluminum wheels that I can buy as well as the toughest front bumpers. Thanks in advance for your data.

ED

Old 04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have not had any bumper problems, But I can tell you that cast alloy wheels is the way to go for durability. ITP makes some good ones, Vision makes some as well. Vision wheels are clearcoated for easy clean up. However there are some polished versions of ITP C-series wheels that are not to bad for ease of clean up that also lighter weight. I have several different rims on my quads, you can can get some ideas by going through my pics.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Range Rover

cc,

Thanks for the response. Your pics are great. How do you keep your machines looking so good? I ride a lot of tight woods and mountains and my plastic looks like it!! Where did you get the Vinson wheels, They look good with the Bighorns.

ED

Old 04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

The strongest rims are OMF Beadlocks and bumpers would be something Custom Made. (I can hook you up if your interested in something like I have?) If you ride rocks I would stay away from cast wheels because they can chip as well as crack and break. I have broke a few. At least with aluminum wheels you can hammer them back into some kind of shape if you have a problem on the Trail. The cast wheels do look good and hold up fine for a lot of riders but if your looking for the Best? OMF. ~coop

Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a link for vision wheels

I ride Arkansas and the Colorado rocky's. If that gives you any kind of idea of the rocks I ride over. I have never cracked or broke one yet (3 years and several thousand miles of use). I have hit some big rocks at high rates of speed out in Colorado and no sign of damge other than a scuff here and there. I know cast is a different story on Trucks and Jeeps, but I think there it is the weight difference involved in ATVs that makes a cast much more durable than in other applications.

As far as keeping them looking nice, I use STP Son of Gun on them. I just coat the whole ATV and let it set over night after washing it of course. Then wipe it all down. They come out looking pretty good. You might put a towl down over the seat, It can make the seat kinda slick and hard to hold on to. On the ITP C-type rims I use a pruduct called flitz to pollish them.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Warn front bumper on mine, its real tough but not all that heavy. I have some pics of it on my page here

Old 04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

Coop,

Are the wheels that you have with the Bighorns OMF Beadlocks? I love the look. How much are they? Unfortunately your front bumper is not wide enough. Most of my dammage happend on the far outsides of the factory bumper. If I had the narrow bumper, my headlights and plastic would be left on the trail![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] CC Thanks for the vinson link. Are they as tough as the OMF's? Skooter, I like the Warn Bumper, but it will not fit with the Warn Mulit-mount kit that I have installed. I like the ability to move the winch from front to back, or vice versa in a minute with the multi mount.

ED

Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

On the Photos I have up of my Prairie, I have Radial Horns with The OMF Beadlocks, But Im switching up this weekend to the Maxxis All-Trac with Tire ***** in the OMF's.

The Strongest Rims for the Utility Quads being made right now, http://omfperformance.com/
But Dont ask how much they cost~LOL! or there not for you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The Cast Wheels and even the Beadlock Cast dont compaire to OMF beadlocks, But its just my oppinion and like cc1999 said they hold up fine for him and others I know. I just had a bad experince and busted two wheels as well as Ive seen them chip so there not for me. I also dont care for the 12/7 all around off set and like to run 12/6 front and 12/8 rear that I feel gives my Prairie more of a Sport Quad feel.

If your going to be doing a lot of bumpin and tree kissin? tossin the black trim and triming the Plastic is something you may wanna consider? You can alwasy have something made that wraps around the headlights better if you feel you need it? So If you have any metal or fab shops around you? You'll be suprized it dosnt cost as much as you think to have just what you need made, Some can even work off part of you stock bumper if you dont mind the weight? ~coop