Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Speed Run Kaput

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Run Kaput

Congrats alltoys. I'm sorry you did not get to go as fast as you wanted to go but 100mph for any length is a BIG achievment. Did you have the cam mod on this quad? Cow made the cam mod on them in 05 I think. It's too bad if you didn't, you might have made it then.
Again, this is a BIG deal and my hat is off to you for trying this.
It would be interesting to tear the motor down and see if there was any piston damage like last time. Please post when you do.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Speed Run Kaput

Doctorturbo,
The cams cut a relief for the cams and honed them another 0.003 for better fit. I did have a higher oil pressure gear installed I used this in combination when I ran the super charger from earlier times. The whole tope end was bent and busted. Cam chain broke lodged itself in the lower case broke the idler shaft from the cam chain gear almost sending outside the engine. 2 bent valves in the front and one in the rear poked a hole in the front piston and cracked it between the exhaust reliefs. Back cylinder top of piston broke off and is embedded into the head. 3 head bolts are stripped only one bolt holding the rear head in place. Last year I reinforced the crank and chromed it. Lower case is almost scrap, line bore from side to side on the crank line is 0.75mm out of alignment.Only salvageable part from the motor are crank and gears these gears I cut them from Chrome Molly almost 2 years ago still going strong after 3 engines, lol.

Mastrblastr,
If I were in hospital bandages from head to toe covered in a body cast hooked up to all sorts of machines being fed by intervenus, with IV supplements. I would still find a way to get your wifes RHUBARB PIE through that ^%*&*%@ clear feed tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

If my Sweetheart could make Rhubarb Pie like your wife can I would have to do something totaly uncharactoristic of myself so she would still make it, lol. How far away is Aug HHHHHMMMMMmmmmm, lol. Yes keep the wobbly pops cool can't wait!!!!!

Old 04-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Speed Run Kaput

Did you have the big(er) oil feed tubes going to the cams? I heard that Kawasaki change the size of the feed line on the 05. I think dynoray and bartlett was talking about it on the kawriders forum. BTW dynoray just claimed 100HP no juice and no snail!!!!
Could you tell if you solved the piston problem or were things too wadded up to tell? What do you think the total amount of HP it took to do this?
Like I said above, BIG achievement, my hats off to you. It's a shame your giving up when you are so close. I hate to see that but I do understand.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Speed Run Kaput

Doctorturbo,
Did not hear about bigger oil tubes I believe that would have helped a lot especially on the higher rpms. At 108mph the quad made 10,400 rpm from the read out on the Tach. I put larger carbs on the motor plus a straight pipe this gave me another 10hp but still needed more. With Rays less drastic cams I might have been able to reach higher rpms faster. FST's cams were not made for the high rpms. My son is anctious to go for another run he tried to down play what could have happend as he knew I would be worried about him. The motor locked up solid at over 100 mph he did very well to keep it under control. Watching that quad bounce around still gives me goose bumps!!!!

Funds are limited I can get the Kawi back to running order, if I were to do this again it would have to wait till next year. By that time someone else will have beaten the 100 mark especially with Rays motors he is putting out. 100 HP on pump gas is phenominal!!!! Just what the doctor ordered!!!!