Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

TECATE 4 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know all about the tecate 4 like how they do on bottom top and mid. I have the chance to buy one for 2300 dollars and it has renthal bars, dura blue axle, fmf pipe and silencer, nerf bars, new tires and rims, helmet, goggles, gloves, extra rims and tires, and a 5 by 7 trailer all for 2300 dollars. Please tell me if this is a good quad for the woods, sand mines,
just playing around hard roads, and sandy trails. Does it have good power is it reliable. Also is it hard to get parts for I mean if its not too hard it won't be a problem thanks for all the advice in advance.

Old 10-18-2000, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

If it runs well, that's an excellent deal!

Regarding it's power band, it's quite like all other 2-strokes, crazy mid to high rpm.

Old 10-18-2000, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well KawasakiKid where do you ride your tecate like the terrain,and is it hard to get parts for it and how is reliability.

Old 10-20-2000, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I originally purchased my Tecate because it was a steal. Bought two actually, one didn't have a rear axle assembly and the other was missing the engine. So I pieced the two together to get one quad. I was told it sat for over 3 years prior to me starting it. Believe it or not, after it was all put together it fired up in 3 kicks!

I've had no problems whatsoever with either of my Kawasaki quads. I've abused them fairly well too! They take one hell of a beating. The only thing I’ve ever broken, is the oil filter cap on my Mojave. It’s made of very cheap pot metal and a poor design. Other than that they’ve run flawlessly.

I used to ride the Tecate around some of the trails near my house, abandoned / torn out rail road tracks, etc. with a lot of whoops, a fairly slow trail (medium to hard dirt). Other than that I ride it in my back 40 acres, in trails I made myself, a bit faster trail then the tracks (softer dirt, some water and slight mud). But, being a big guy (280lbs) I felt I wasn't really wasn't unleashing it's full potential. I'm in the process now of converting it into a racing quad (aftermarket a-arms, axle, nerfs, shocks etc.)

I plan on competing next year in some amateur races.

Regarding stock parts, I’ve found they are very difficult to find. Usually anyone that has any knows how rare they are (considering the quad was only made for 2 years) and will charge out the nose for them! We have an ATV salvage shop nearby that had a stock frame in stock and they wanted $800 for it! I've seen engines go for up to $1800 if you don't have a core to exchange. Believe it or not, you can still get a majority of the parts through the dealer (usually expensive though).

It's getting ridiculous in my opinion. I wish more companies like Lonestar, DG, and Graydon would make more aftermarket parts for the Tecate.

If I saw another one for sale in my area, for a good price, I’d buy it!