Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Weird coolant leak on Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird coolant leak on Prairie 650

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I went out on a atv run and things where going fine. At the end of the run, the trail got real rocky and rough, and it was very slow moving since someone at the front was holding up the line of atvers.

So we are almost done our run, when suddenly my buddy yells at me to stop since he smells coolant. So we start checking everything out, and we notice that under the left front fender, behind the strut, coolant was just leaking and dripping on the ground.

I shut off the bike, and the fan was on, and it ran for about 10 seconds until it shut off. The Temp Light wasn't on, and the bike wasn't running that hot. It's actually been running a lot cooler since I installed the VDI module.

I removed the small plastic cover on the front of the bike in front of the handlebar, and looked around the radiator cap and it was bone dry, didn't appear that there was any coolant that came out of the cap itself.

We added some water in the overflow tank, and proceeded to drive slowly back to the start point. I loaded the bike on the trailer and drove home. Tonight I checked on the trailer and there wasn't any sign of leaking coolant on the trailer, and checked my overflow tank and there was about an inch of coolant in the tank.

So I added some coolant to the reservoir and started the bike for 5 minutes, and the coolant level never dropped.

When I seen the leaking coolant at first, my first thought was that a hose got disconnected because of the rocky terrain, but I looked around and couldn't see any loose hoses, and if a hose was disconnected or loose, you would think that you would see some coolant leaking.

So my question is where could this coolant have come from?