Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stripped Front Diff Bolt! Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Front Diff Bolt! Crap!

Brute Force 650....so there I was getting excited to change all the fluids after hitting the 10 hour milestone. I began with the front diff and located the innocent looking allen bolt. I had read in this forum that the bolt is extremely tight...I'll say. I gave it all of my strength and began to turn. All of a sudden I totally stripped the top of the bolt.

Now what? I am going riding this weekend no matter what and was just going to finish the engine oil and rear diff fluid. How long would you guys go without changing the front diff oil? I will take it into Kawasaki to get the screw off, but like I said, nothing is going to stop me from riding this Saturday.

Any suggestions? What would you guys do?

Thanks

Bubba

Old 04-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Some people never change it. I changed mine over to AMS oil synthetic, and probably wont change it until 1500-2000 miles or so. The only time its really necessary is if it looks milky, or you got water in it.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same prob with by bf I ended up having to chisel a groove in the bolt and hit it softly with a hammer and it broke loose then went to the local hard ware store and replaceed it with an actual bolt. (but be carefull not to over tighten the bolt because you can actually strip the threads inside the fron diff Trust me I know) But after that it is so much easier to change fluids now.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I think I will attempt to chisel it and use a hammer. What a brain dead move putting an allen head in there and the factory tightening it down that much. Jeez, you need Popeye forearms to get that puppy off! LOL

Thanks again guys!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

I just did mine as well and guess what????? The ******* thing stripped out. I was able to use a pair of vise grips and turn it out. My other thought was to use a hack saw and cut a grove across the top so a slotted screw driver would work. Fortunately the vise grips worked.

Sounds like a very common problem. Why TF would they use a hex head for the oil and rear diff but an allen for the front???? And yes, I did use the right size metric allen.

Larch

Old 04-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Man that sucks! I think this is a common problem. I should have just went out and bought the socket instead of using the allen tool. So the vise grips worked for you. Was it pretty easy or did the vise grips slip a few times before biting?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did the same thing, I was able to use vice grips to get it off and yes it did bite the first time. Bought an impact driver and have'nt had a problem since.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, the vise grip fix is what I am gonna do, and then replace it with a regular bolt for easy change out next time!

On a side note, no problems after the first ten hours. One thing though, sometimes when I switch to 4wd it switches almost instantly, the next time it takes one or two full revolutions to engage. Oh well, minor gripe for a machine that gives me so much fun!

Bubba

Old 04-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I thought mine was the only one. I used a Channel locks to get mine off. Came right out. Why would you use an allen screw there?? Probably works well for manufacturing, but sucks for maintenence.