Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Wire across trail kills teenager on ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire across trail kills teenager on ATV

I have a friend that works with us that bikes the trails in his community daily and has done so for years. One Friday night a couple of weeks ago, he was driving down the trail and he noticed, at the last minute, that there was a chain across the trail.
Good thing that he was wearing a moto-cross helmet. When he seen the chain, he turned sideways and the chain rode up the helmet. Joe's price was two teeth missing and waking up unconciousness to find yourself in hospital. Thankfully, his son went to see where he was when he did come home on time. The ambulance was called and Joe was looked after.
If Joe had not turned his head sideways, the chain would have snapped his neck. Nobody has claimed responsibility for that chain, it was on a public hiking trail. Not wanting ATV'ers in your space is not a reason to be harmful.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
BSD
Trailblazer

thats just screwed up! its not worth trying and/or actually killing someone over. i feel sorry for the kids parents.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 700reasons
I have a friend that works with us that bikes the trails in his community daily and has done so for years. One Friday night a couple of weeks ago, he was driving down the trail and he noticed, at the last minute, that there was a chain across the trail.
Good thing that he was wearing a moto-cross helmet. When he seen the chain, he turned sideways and the chain rode up the helmet. Joe's price was two teeth missing and waking up unconciousness to find yourself in hospital. Thankfully, his son went to see where he was when he did come home on time. The ambulance was called and Joe was looked after.
If Joe had not turned his head sideways, the chain would have snapped his neck. Nobody has claimed responsibility for that chain, it was on a public hiking trail. Not wanting ATV'ers in your space is not a reason to be harmful.
Man oh man..................TOO MUCH EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

well said squeege......................its like captainquint is not reading the thread. No one said that this kid was killed on purpose. I originally posted this thread as an FYI so our fellow riders will be careful. I wrote that it was a wire placed across the trail, but it was actually a chain. The first reports of the incident in my local area where this occurred stated that it was a wire. To me that's a minor detail................the chain still killed this young teenager. I am familiar with the area where this teenager was killed, because I often ride in the same area. As far as I know, the chain was not marked with flags or any postings, warning people of its existance. I am sorry that I ranted..........but captainquint started getting on my nerves. Like I said, I originally posted the thread as an FYI, it is ashame to see how many other stories are out there that are so similar. I hope everyone is careful.............my thougts and prayers are still with this boys family.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: slynchee
well said squeege......................its like captainquint is not reading the thread. No one said that this kid was killed on purpose. I originally posted this thread as an FYI so our fellow riders will be careful. I wrote that it was a wire placed across the trail, but it was actually a chain. The first reports of the incident in my local area where this occurred stated that it was a wire. To me that's a minor detail................the chain still killed this young teenager. I am familiar with the area where this teenager was killed, because I often ride in the same area. As far as I know, the chain was not marked with flags or any postings, warning people of its existance. I am sorry that I ranted..........but captainquint started getting on my nerves. Like I said, I originally posted the thread as an FYI, it is ashame to see how many other stories are out there that are so similar. I hope everyone is careful.............my thougts and prayers are still with this boys family.
Good point. Thanks for letting us know about something like this, weather intential or not, we need to always be aware of our surroundings even if we travel the same route all the time. We all love to have fun riding our quads for various reasons, but utlimately our safety must be 1st. It is like defensive driving on a quad. Again, thanks for posting.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

Great you're familiar with the area so you can answer a couple of questions.

1. Was it a public riding area?

2. Was it a private land? Do people just ride there without getting permission or what?

3. What sort of “cart path” is it and why would one be riding an ATV on it?

4. Has any other official information been released other than the links I posted above?

As for not reading the thread I am. I wondered if others were actually reading what happened in the incident in question or not.

The point of this is that from THIS INCIDENT as reported so far in the press I see no nefarious actions taken by anyone with regards to the placement of a chain across a path as far as I can tell as long as it was done by the property owner. The owner of the property has no particular responsibility to warn anybody about placing gates or chains across paths and such. This is especially true if the individual in question happens to be there without the consent of the owner.

It's a shame that this man got killed. Hopefully more information will come out and that will show more clearly what exactly happened.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
[quote]

The owner of the property has no particular responsibility to warn anybody about placing gates or chains across paths and such. This is especially true if the individual in question happens to be there without the consent of the owner.

You are correct....however one key point that could land the property owner in the state pokey....and would hold true in most stories described in the thread...BOOBY TRAPS ARE ILLEGAL ANYWHERE ANYTIME.....again these people are running across booby traps on trails that are landing alot of them in the hospital or worse...ending their life....

Old 09-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

Actually capaint.your wrong about the property owner being able to do whatever they want in Mass. As you may be away.......by my picture I am a police officer in Mass. In Mass..... a land owner cannot string wires, chains or cables on their property without posting them. Unlike alot of people who write things on these threads, I know hwat I am talking about when it comes to law and the legal responsibilities of land owners. The path this kid was riding on cut across this subjects property. The most the land owner could do was post the property. If he decided to gate off his property he HAS to have flags and postings on the chain. This land owner did not.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

Actually capaint.your wrong about the property owner being able to do whatever they want in Mass. As you may be away.......by my picture I am a police officer in Mass. In Mass..... a land owner cannot string wires, chains or cables on their property without posting them. Unlike alot of people who write things on these threads, I know hwat I am talking about when it comes to law and the legal responsibilities of land owners. The path this kid was riding on cut across this subjects property. The most the land owner could do was post the property. If he decided to gate off his property he HAS to have flags and postings on the chain. This land owner did not. As for the papers writing of the incident, as usual they were wrong. I was speaking to a fellow officer in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred, and he advised me that it was actually a cable that the land owner had strung up, without marking it. The kid was riding along and caught the cable across his neck. It collapsed his windpipe causing him to suffocate on the trail. As I originally posted..I want evryone to be careful when they are doing what we all love to do, RIDE. As for you Capatin, where is the title Captain coming from........................
OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Actually capaint.your wrong about the property owner being able to do whatever they want in Mass. As you may be away.......by my picture I am a police officer in Mass. In Mass..... a land owner cannot string wires, chains or cables on their property without posting them. Unlike alot of people who write things on these threads, I know hwat I am talking about when it comes to law and the legal responsibilities of land owners. The path this kid was riding on cut across this subjects property. The most the land owner could do was post the property. If he decided to gate off his property he HAS to have flags and postings on the chain. This land owner did not.
So if I lived in mass (yeah like THAT would ever happen) every time I moved fence for my cattle I'd have to tie little warning flags all over it so some dumb *** trespasser didn't run into it and kill himself? The cows and horses can generally manage to noodle through the whole “don't run headlong into the fence” conundrum and humans can't?

I know dozens of field drives and such around here that have cable or chain gates and people seem to be bright enough not to kill themselves with them. I had to move a cable Thursday when I picked up stuff down by a neighbor's lake. Wasn't there last time I had been down there last winter. Must have been put up this spring or summer. Managed to negotiate the thing without incident. No signs. No yellow warning tape. No piles of bodies or other evidence of mayhem.

It's sad situation. Someone was evidently where he shouldn't have been and if he hadn't been he still would have been alive. A terrible senseless tragic shame for him and his family. I'm sure the landowner feels terrible but you can't save people from the consequences of their own bad judgment. No amount of warning flags or nannying will solve that.

Quick Reply: Wire across trail kills teenager on ATV