Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Top Ten P650 Part Prices that I got from parting out 2 quads

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Ten P650 Part Prices that I got from parting out 2 quads

Parting out a P650 is a LOT of work...I should know b/c I've parted out 2 Prairies in the past 2 years! LOL I get a lot of questions about my experience in parting them out and how much $ the parts bring in. Below are some observations and comparisons from my recent experience.

I recently received a question about the prices that I got for the Prairie 650 parts that I?ve sold when I parted out 2 Prairies during the past 2 years. Rather than list every item, I thought it would be interesting to compare the TOP 10 PRICES that I got for various parts off both Prairies. ***NOTE: I sold the 03 Motor when I parted out the 02 Prairie 650 and vice versa.

2002 P650 Parted Out during 2006:

(All prices below include shipping cost where applicable)...
1) P650 Motor (2003/upgraded pistons/cams)...$1250
2) Rear Swingarm/driveshaft.....................$650
3) Rear Shock..........................................$36 4
4) Front Diff (Broken, but had new parts)....$350
5) Both Front CVs.....................................$322
6) Frame............................................. ....$300
7) Complete Set of YELLOW fenders?????$300
8) Set of Aftermarket Tires/Rims???????.$280
9) Speedo Display....................................$200
10) Carbs............................................. .....$175
**) Both Clutches (2003)............................NOT SOLD YET
**) Fuel Pump...........................................NOT SOLD YET

TOTAL **NET** PROCEEDS RECEIVED FOR THIS Modded ?02 P650: $5,150

ALSO NOTE: Just the Top 10 items listed above brought in about $4200 gross?or 65% of **gross** proceeds from all sales to date?meaning that I got about 2/3 of the total proceeds from parting out this 2002 Prairie 650 from just these 10 items!

2003 P650 Parted Out during 2005

(All prices below include shipping cost where applicable)...
1) P650 Motor (2002 with VERY low miles)...$1300
2) Rear Swingarm/driveshaft.....................$445
3) Both Front CVs.....................................$427
4) Both Clutches (2002)............................$415
5) Frame............................................. ....$365
6) Speedo Display....................................$323
7) Rear Shock..........................................$30 0
8) Carbs............................................. .....$255
9) Fuel Pump............................................$2 00
10) Front Diff (Broken)................................$195

TOTAL **NET** PROCEEDS RECEIVED FOR THIS Modded ?03 P650: $6,700

ALSO NOTE: Just the Top 10 items listed above brought in about $4200 gross, or 49% of **gross** proceeds from all sales to date?meaning that I got about 1/2 of the total proceeds from parting out this 2003 Prairie 650 from just these 10 items!

Happy trails?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mikey,been a while.It's funny that you posted this now.I was JUST telling a buddy of mine down at deer camp this weekend that I knew someone from the forum that did this very thing...meaning you.It has crossed my mine but I have one big fear.My luck would be I would sell the engine or some other major componet and nothing else.....then what??? YIKES.
I am really ready for a new machine,not because the trusty Prairie is any trouble but I have had it 4 years and am just ready for a new one.Mine has 2200 miles and is in great shape but yet I feel I could maybe get $3500.00 tops for it.It is camo which may or may not help.It does help for not showing scratches.Did you sell all this on EBAY?....
02 650 Camo

Old 12-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Kodiac1,
Good to hear from you. You are absolutely right...the FIRST expensive part that I sold off each Prairie is the MOST NERVE RACKING part! That's b/c it makes you wonder if that will be the only one you sell and then you are stuck with it as is OR else you have to buy a NEW PART to replace the used one you sold! LOL

Both times, it took me about 5 or 6 months to part out 90% of the quad...Keep in mind that I still have SEVERAL small parts that were never sold! In fact, I have 3 LARGE plastic storage containers (that I bought from Walmart) that are filled with these left-overs! I guess most of these left-overs will never sell, but fortunately I have a Twin Peaks 700 now and I can use these parts as spares. The left-overs sure come in handy when I lose a bolt or find a broken/tore part on my Twin Peaks!

On my first part out project, I sold about 2/3 of the sales on ebay. But not nearly as much on my 2nd part out. The rest of my sales came from advertising on other atv forums (especially local OR technical atv forums) and also from local people that I know (and just word of mouth).

If your quad is in good shape overall (including the motor, clutchs, speedo display, and other TOP TEN items listed above), then you will most likely come out ahead if you part out your Prairie. However, be prepared to deal with the part out process for 6 full months or so! This takes ALOT of time to do including time to disassemble, clean, take pics and list prices of all parts. You will then be faced with sometimes DOZENS of questions per day (especially at first) about the parts you have for sale, requests for additional pics, etc.). Once you make the sale, you have to buy boxes, wrapping supplies, tape, etc. and box it up and then drive to the post office to ship it. This sounds like no big deal, but it adds up to ALOT of time when you multiply this process times 50 or 60 separate sales of parts! Just thinking about going to the post office almost EVERY DAY for 2 or 3 months straight and that will give you some idea of the time commitment it takes to sell the parts fast!

Again, it has been well worth it in the end b/c I would have gotten WAY LESS $$ from the 2 prairies that I parted out had I tried to repair them and sell them whole. NOTE: I decided to part out BOTH of my prairies b/c I broke the front diff and it would have been VERY expensive to repair. So my decision was much easier than someone with a perfectly good working Prairie.

Good luck in your decision and let me know if you have any more questions!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]