Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What it up with my Prairie 700 belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What it up with my Prairie 700 belt?

Here is my issue. I bought a new Dyno CDI and installed it. All I remember is everyone saying it makes a big difference. It is a pop a wheelie machine. Well.... It felt like it only made a little difference. So I rode it around and decided to check the belt.
Are all Prairie belts this loose? When I spin the belt the back pulley turns but the front one does not. The belt just spins over it. Is that normal? I could also push down on it very easy. (My dad had a Grizzly and his belt was way tighter). The belt it self looked fine but it seemed way loose. It's running fine not missing or anything. What do you guys think?

Old 06-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider

i put the dyna in mine also and it makes a differance.
in mid and top end also.
with the muffler mod and jets and the air filter mod it will be faster again.
i raced my buddy yesterday and his 700 is an 05 and hes done the muffler and air filter mod and jets and when we raced we started off at about 25 mph and he got me at first then i pulled and passed him by a nose then he pulled on me and got me by 3/4 of a quad when we ran out of room.
but every time we raced after that he was always a little faster but not by much.
and as for the belt if you put a ruler on top of the front and rear pullys and push down on the belt not hard and mesure how much the distance is, if its more then 2cm (1") then its loose. and you need to shim it.
when you check it dont push down hard but not too soft eather.
you know in the groove.lol.
good luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

I did push down on the belt and then measure, but I read it needs to be 13lbs (how do I now when it is 13lbs?). From what I came up with was an inch from the belt to the ruler.

Wouldn't a belt just flap from being so loose when driving it? Because when I'm low gear and going about 15mph I can hear a vibration coming from the CVT.

One question can I take off my CVT cover and start it up and see the belt work that way?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the reason the belt spins like that is because the front clutch is not engaged to the belt. The grizzly has the front clutch always egaged to the belt. Go to nyrocatv.com under tech tips section for how to properly check and adjust the belt. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I might of jumped the gun on this one. I looked at Nyroc's site and that put me in my place. Everything seems to be ok.

I guess I just expected more with the Dyno CDI.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, i know how you feel. Its like a movie that everyone talks up but when you see it your like, uhhhh, not that great. You just have to much to expect and its not as good as you think. By the way, nyroc has great forums if you would like to chime in over there.