Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

winch switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch switch

Hey guys I have one of the round switches that mounts on the rack for operating the winch forward and reverse. It was corroded inside from getting wet and sitting (copper turned green) found this out AFTER I drilled out the rivet that holds it together. Figured I would make it servicable and put a bolt back in there. Well... it's been apart awhile and I ummm... can't seem to remember how it went together LOL 90% of it is straight forward but I can't seem to get the spring in that returns it back to center correctly.

Has anyone ever taken one of them apart and remember how it goes back together? Emailed Warn and they said it was a non-servicable part so they don't have any schematics for it and if they did it would be proprietary but they give a pretty nice exploded view of the winch itself online tho, don't they???

Anyway looking for some help so I don't have to buy a new one.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default winch switch

I had a similar situation and I ended up installing 2 new "generic" push-button type switches ($2 ea from RadioShack, one for in-coming and the other for out-going). I installed the 2 switches on the back of the ATV so that I can operate the winch from the rear of the ATV. BTW I have my winch installed on the back of the ATV so that I can pull stuff. I still have a handlebar mounted original WARN switch. Join one wire (ground) from each switch so that you have total 3 wires (one ground, one in-coming, one out-going) coming out from the 2 switches. I used 2 different colored caps for the switches, Red for in-coming and Black for out-going. Don't you hate when you accidentally winch in the cable and jam it up when you really wanted to spool out? Connect those 3 wires to the winch relay box just like your original switch wires were connected.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default winch switch

Thanks for the tip was wondering if something like a remote starter switch would work. Would like to have one that is spring loaded so I can't leave it on.

Going to look into the cost of a new switch too, if it's less than $20 may go that route just keep it simple.