Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting frustrated

Me and my girl took a small vacation trip to Mill Creek riding area in Ozark Arkansas this past weekend. I made a post a while back about a ride i went on and a stick ramming through my right floorboard at 12mph. Well, the very first evening we were there we made a quick check of the first mountain trail. I made it halfway up going literally 2-3 mph,(these were tough, technical trails), and a big *** half rotten stick simpy laying on the damn ground that my right front tire struck popped up through the inside of my right floorboard and busted a damn hole in my cvt cover.........give me a freakin break. Of course i was pissed, some will say "shoulda got aftermarket skids, a-arm, and cvt covers when you bought it......some people like to have a little faith in $9k after financing rollin off the showroom floor without all the trouble. And to top it off the next day we made the most difficult trail and while going on the downside of the mountain i very literally only got 200ft while having 3 large sticks ram up through the back frame opening hitting the upper fender wells almost busting them. I have never ridden a machine with frame geometry so prone to sticks getting caught in it. Just a little venting and a question. What is a simple method some of yall have used to fix holes in cvt covers, or should i just buy a anew one. lol....i used glue cement and Duck tape to patch the hole for the rest of the ride and weekend. hahahaha lol -joe

Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

As for the fixing, if the hole is small use JB weld or epoxy. But if it's too big, I would use fiberglass wool and resin from inside - then use bondo or marine tex from outside and sand down. Or just get a new cover and save the trouble.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop screwing around w/the Stock skid plates, they are as useless as the Stock Tires. Order a set of the A.P. skid plates or Ricochets, A.P. will bolt up quicker & should cost less if you order directly from the factory.
As long as you Don't ride Mud or water a fix of your CVT cover will do, otherwise replace it.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

I understand you being upset about the protection. I also think they should come from the factory with better protection and tires. When you spend that kind of money you dont want to have to go out and spend more on the machine. I think the bottom line is most people dont do the kind of riding that you, me, or some of the other guys do. Its to bad. I just sucked it up and bit the bullet.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

I second the poor protection of the CV boots. I've replaced 2 so far with a couple more close calls. Believe it or not I did them both at Mill Creek. I think the local Kawasaki dealer must be planting those sticks on the trail. OEM boots are 50 bucks a pop. Ouch! I also recently bought some ITP Series 7 wheels. The offset exposes the outer boots even more. I've looked at some of the aftermarket skid plates and it doesn't look like they compensate of the added exposure of offset wheels. I may be screwed. Maybe if I start buying boots by the case I can get a discount. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

that can happen on any machine...

i suggest a set of ricochet skid plates or pro armor skid plates for it....others out there too, that won't happen again...I'm waiting on the ricochets for the 08 brute 750....

Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for yalls replies, yea right now im still riding it like i patched it. Man yall'd be surprised at how well that glue cement worked fillin in the hole and makin the Duck tape stretch tight and stay sealed over the hole lol. After my christmas buyin is done i will look into getting a new cover, as i do not make alot of money heh. gl fellas joe

Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

get a set of ricochet skid plates , they r bullet proof & have all the proper drain holes in them. i am sure the other brands do too. that is the first mod we do to any of the atv's we buy. just put the ricochet on my kfx700 , wife has one on her wolverine 450 as well
Name:  HPIM1098.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  HPIM0353_0010.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  90.6 KB