Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

prairie opions????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prairie opions????

CDI
It is VERY unlikely that your 360 CDI connector got water in it unless you dunked your quad into a lake. Your CDI is located insid the black plastic casing just below the tail lamp. The black casing has a sealed vertical lid and the CDI is bolted on to the ceiling of the box. The 360 CDI is hidden/protected in a place UNLIKE any other Kawi quads. The black module under the seat of the 360 is the Controller not CDI. Also the CDI connectors (2) are water-tight type. There is no way that water could get to the CDI just by washing the quad. Don't waste time.

Belt
Just remove the 10-mm head bolts (10+) of the CVT housing cover. All you can do there is drying up any water or moisture on the belt and pulleys. Use a heat gun to dry up and contact cleaner to clean up the mating surface. Adjusting belt tension is something better to have a professional do it unless you know exactly what to do, where to set at and have right tools to do. Sometimes it's better to just install a new belt instead of adjusting a worn out belt.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

Thanks!! Hayashi for the info. I didn't know about the 360's cdi locatoin. I wish that the 650/700 where a little better located. but at the same time i never had any problems with it.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

great news with the new battery lights popped right on and to my suprise fired up and idled better than new... i guess new spark plug, oil, battery will do that.... thanks for the help and saving me some money.... now the belt light is still on... how do you reset it and how can i tell if the belt need replacing.... this bike has been ridden alot, been through everything and couldnt ask more of it, so i can see if i need to replace the belt..... im trying to get pic posted but photobucket is down thanks ill start to take the bolts out.. can i reset the light from this step as well
thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Good to hear a good battery resolved some of your issues.

Belt Light
The light came ON for a reason and you need to find out why. Only after taking an appropriate measure, you should learn how to turn off the BELT LIGHT - do search in this forum for how. Probably finding the 2 connectos would be the most difficult task if this is your first time doing it. Measuring the belt deflection requires some sort of precision work - apply 13 lbs force on top of the belt between the two pulleys. Measure the delta/change in the vertical distance which should be no more than 27 mm. Even if the deflection is in spec, sometimes it's worth while to replace with a new one if have lots of hours on the belt and since you are that much into it.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

hay how do u know so much
pulled the cover off bone dry no trace water has everybeen in the housing.... the toggle switch was in the on position belt LOOKS good to me but i dont know what a bad one looks like... and belt light flashes does not stay a consistant red.... the belt llight never flashed before i took all the plastics off and batter out... when i put it back together thats when it came on i dont know if that means anything.... i got pic coming maybe you can tell me if the belt needs changing..... if so is that somethign i can do or do i have to take it to the stealer....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

hay how do u know so much
pulled the cover off bone dry no trace water has everybeen in the housing.... the toggle switch was in the on position belt LOOKS good to me but i dont know what a bad one looks like... and belt light flashes does not stay a consistant red.... the belt llight never flashed before i took all the plastics off and batter out... when i put it back together thats when it came on i dont know if that means anything.... i got pic coming maybe you can tell me if the belt needs changing..... if so is that somethign i can do or do i have to take it to the stealer....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

heres what the inside of the housing looks like
Name:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  137.4 KB

belt
Name:  IMG_0069.jpg
Size:  80.7 KB

belt with me pulling up on it
Name:  IMG_0070.jpg
Size:  78.1 KB

can you see anything wrong???

Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I work on ATVs (and other machineries) for living...

The toggle switch is at ON position means that the belt did NOT trigger the belt light flashing. Instead, it got triggered electronically. That's good and bad. It is good that your belt/cvt system might not need any work. It is bad that you have to find what electronically triggered the light flashing. Since the belt cover is off, let's check a few things. Run your finger nail on the inside of pulleys and see if you can feel any grooves or bumps. If you do, you have excessive wear. Check the consistency of your belt width. Any point it is more narrow? That means you got stuck once or more and burnt the belt. If all even, you are good to go and put back the cover. Only thing I see wrong in your photo is that you are supposed to push "down" on the belt, not pulling up, in order to measure the belt deflection. Now, search the forum and find out how to shut off the flashing light. Same method is used on all CVT Kawi quads.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

big thanks to hayashi everything is in working order i check the pully everything seem to me to be fine i followed how to reset the light it worked drove it around a little bit no light came on tested the 4x4 work great so thanks again guys for all the help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]