Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

prairie opions????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prairie opions????

first post so go easy ok heres what im asking. have a 04 kp 360... wanting to sell it so i can upgrade... so i decided to take all the plastics of power wash all the filth off of it came out like new but now both belt lights and 4x4 lights are flashing and the it will not start unless i jump it or pull start it.. i let it run for quit awhile and it held very little charge just enough to turn light on but not start... any opions need
thanks in advance
justin
great site

Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Try charging the battery and see if it holds the charge (12.5+ VDC when engine is not running or 13+VDC if engine is running.). If it doesn't meet above numbers, you need a new battery. The low charged battery could cause the flashing problem. Once you have a healthy battery and if lights are still flashing, open up the CVT belt housing and see if any water got in there. Also, dry out any water in important electrica connectors like ECU, Controller, etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks hayashi,
also when it is running im noticing back fire which has NEVER happened before, and if anyone know what the whinning is and how to correcrt it when the rpm slow down or just start to speed up i heard it for a while but has gotten louder thanks again ill try that

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

With more info from you, it really sounds like water got inside the CVT housing when you were pressure washing. The back fire is probably due to belt light flashing - your ATV is in the limp home mode. It is doing what it is programmed to do. So, make sure the belt toggle switch is in ON position and follow the belt light turn off procedure to turn off the flashing. If this happens again, the belt deflection needs to be either adjusted (tighter) or replaced. The whining noise could be coming from the CVT/belt area.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey hay ok well i charged my batt. because i thought maybe thats why it wasnt starting aftr the charge the oil light and netural light come on now but seems as if they are flickering and take a sec t get to full brightness i guess you would say and when i het the start button i hear a little POP but no turn over
Name:  IMG_0054.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  172.7 KB
the little gold cylinder part is what is making the POP sound and if i hold the start button it almost sounds like current going through but thats it any ideas

thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

The cylinder looking thing that makes popping noise is the STARTER RELAY. The popping noise is the internal swtich of the STARTER RELAY that is trying to make a contact so that the current can flow from the battery to the starter. It's trying to do its job. What is the voltage of your battery? Looking at the photo of the battery's (-) terminal, it doesn't look too healthy. I see some white dried up sulfuric acid residue. See if you can start the engine by using the boost charger if your battery charger has that function, or jump start from your car to start the engine. If engine starts that way, you need a new battery.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

funny as it seems the pic doesnt give the battery justice i did buy a new batt but was chargin while i took the pic this batter is producing about 12 with no power to it same as the new fully charged one i bought... so is that sound normal to here from the starter relay i took it out and was thinking of getting a new one the guys at my local dealer are kinda ***** and i think i can do most the stuff on my own... if thats normal then ill put it back in and try the new batt.. ill post new pics thanks for all the input it is greatly appreciated

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, the 12 v is too low. A heathy battery should have 12.5 V or higher with engine turned off. The popping noise is more prominent and it is "normal" with a weak battery. A good heathy battery would not make that noise. Instead, the engine would start right away. I don't know what kind of new battery you bought but I've experienced better cranking power from MF sealed type battery (usually black casing) than a fill type (usually white casing so fluid level can be checked) as I see on your photo. Another benefit is no water adding is needed so no acid leak in case of overcharging or over filling.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Range Rover

I think you should unplug your cdi along with everything you can get to and let them dry out. Sounds like you have got something wet and sticking. pick up some bulb grease at walmart and clean/coat them before plugging back up. Also I would go ahead and make sure my belt issue was right before i tried anything else if you got it full of water it could have a load on your clutch and the starter may not have enough strenth to turn the motor. Same thing happens if you get too much fuel in the cylinder due to carb sticking and flooding it. Good Luck!! hope this helps!!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok cdi is what im still yet to get the service manual im trying.... and where is it located and where and to check the belt do i just take the outside case off and once i do im i looking for possible water/belt tightness/ anythign else
thanks guys

Quick Reply: prairie opions????