Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what will the lakota beat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will the lakota beat?

what will a stock lakota beat? i drove the thing for the first time the other day it seemed some what slow in the first 2 gear's then started to pick up in the topend.

idk if it's because im use to motorcycle's or a banshee i have...lol but i have my banshee to race someone with but my trail atv i still wanna whop up on my buddys ltz 250 and maybe his raptor and my other buddy has a poliars trailboss 325 jetted and exhaust... and another friend has a blaster 250.... is there any atv to compare it to?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Range Rover

LOL.. first and second are WAY too lowly geared for first and second to "count" ..
get a 13 or 14tooth front gear, from cycleworksracing.net and they become at least useful. Keep your old gear, you never know when you want to do some serious low range work, and it's all of 30 mins to change.

racing? stock, and i mean BONE stock, blasters will beat you.. a 200cc 2stroke that's 200# lighter is going to pull away when you shift from 2-3, and will then accelerate away.... though it will get STUCK and stall ... where you can kick it into neutral, hit the starter, and shift into reverse.. and DRIVE out .. a guy i ride with has a pair of these, and his BRAND new one (barely 20 hours) just kills me have 22-25MPH.. but he get stuck 5X more than me in the muddy bits

Racing isn't the only performance measurement.. any stock bike BUILT for track/racing/"trails" is going to leave you in the dust, and any serious 4x4 is going to be able to do more, at the last 2%.. but there's plus/minus for everything ..

The lakota is about 20HP bone stock... cheap mods MIGHT get you to 24-26, and spendy mods will take you over 35-40 (CWR measures rear wheel after mods)..

Which will make you able to play with, but will get beat by bigger bikes... probably are going to get out RUN by 2 stroke bikes..

But, when you are just putt putting along, in 3rd, and drive through the guys stuck "just because" .. well, *I* am happy with my lakotas!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jeffeosso

LOL.. first and second are WAY too lowly geared for first and second to "count" ..

get a 13 or 14tooth front gear, from cycleworksracing.net and they become at least useful. Keep your old gear, you never know when you want to do some serious low range work, and it's all of 30 mins to change.

racing? stock, and i mean BONE stock, blasters will beat you.. a 200cc 2stroke that's 200# lighter is going to pull away when you shift from 2-3, and will then accelerate away.... though it will get STUCK and stall ... where you can kick it into neutral, hit the starter, and shift into reverse.. and DRIVE out .. a guy i ride with has a pair of these, and his BRAND new one (barely 20 hours) just kills me have 22-25MPH.. but he get stuck 5X more than me in the muddy bits

Racing isn't the only performance measurement.. any stock bike BUILT for track/racing/"trails" is going to leave you in the dust, and any serious 4x4 is going to be able to do more, at the last 2%.. but there's plus/minus for everything ..

The lakota is about 20HP bone stock... cheap mods MIGHT get you to 24-26, and spendy mods will take you over 35-40 (CWR measures rear wheel after mods)..

Which will make you able to play with, but will get beat by bigger bikes... probably are going to get out RUN by 2 stroke bikes..

But, when you are just putt putting along, in 3rd, and drive through the guys stuck "just because" .. well, *I* am happy with my lakotas!</end quote></div>

i dont wanna make the thing a race bike just something alittle peppy...something that willl surprize people...lol i have a exstra gsxr 750 motor i could fab up...lol j.p is there any swaps people done on the lakotas?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

ive seen someone put a 450 kawasaki 2-stroke motor on one, they cut the tank and converted it to a chain drive. i seen it when i was in occotillo wells. it ran like a scolded dog, but got beat by a tuned up YFZ and a zilla during a drag race. it left a ds650 sitting so i guess it was pretty fast.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DeathValleyReaper

ive seen someone put a 450 kawasaki 2-stroke motor on one, they cut the tank and converted it to a chain drive. i seen it when i was in occotillo wells. it ran like a scolded dog, but got beat by a tuned up YFZ and a zilla during a drag race. it left a ds650 sitting so i guess it was pretty fast.</end quote></div>

they are chained drivin...i thought and the damn thing proble rode wheelies...lol

Old 11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

i thought they were shaft driven?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friends stock 96 Lakota just killed my 350 Big Bear badly and also beat my 450 Foreman rather handily on logging roads. For what it is worth.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DeathValleyReaper

i thought they were shaft driven?</end quote></div>

it had a chain so i dont think it is shaft drivin...lol

Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

lakota's are chain drive, solid rear axel ... perhaps the 450 2stroke motor was/had been shaft drive?