Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2004 Praire 360 Fan Runs long time

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Praire 360 Fan Runs long time

hey all

I have recently bought a 2004 prairie 360 4x4. My question is, when i ride it for a while the air cooler fan comes on and runs for a long time. I know that it will do this but it seems like it will run for about 30 or 45 secs even after i stop and turn off all ignition switches. Is this a normal thing to happen?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

You don't say what the ambient temperatures are or how hard, fast, you are riding. My 360's fan seldom comes on if the temperatures are low and I'm cruising along at a moderate speed in high range. Runs nearly constantly if the weather is hot and I'm working it in low. Matter of fact when I'm pulling the brush beater in hot weather I have a fan from a wrecked Honda that I built a mount for to blow more air over the oil cooler and engine. Works great and the quads fan will still cycle on and off. The fan running after you shut the engine down is not unusual at all.

Have you checked the oil cooler to see if the air passages are plugged with dust or mud? It's important to keep the cooler clean. A light held between the cooler and the engine while you look from the front will tell the tale very quickly. Easiest to do this in a dark garage or at night.

My Prairie has been an exceptionally good machine, wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I use it for work around the farm and some trail riding, it spends a lot of time running fence lines and spot spraying with a 25 gallon tank on the rear rack.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

i have been riding it alot in the last two weeks and the temps have been in the 90's everytime i ride. I rode at Carolina adventure world in high range in a moderate to fast pace trail ride and it seemed to stay on all day. Makes sense that it did as hot as it was bc it was about 97 degrees throughout the day. I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing wrong and that it was a normal thing. Also u say the oil cooled? I have a manual but for some reason could not spot anything about that in there. Is there any kind of maintanence or any fluid checks that need to be done to it? thanks for the info as I am new to the prairie and only owned an ozark for a very short time.