Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2008 Brute Force Vs. 2008 King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but my point is the singles peak will be lower in the rpm i can bet you that
I'd take that bet any day - there's just no way a motor with half the power strokes per cycle has more torque then a motor that produces 2x the power strokes in the same amount of time. Engines generate power from the power stroke > the more power strokes in any given time = more power > twin cylinder motors. More power = more inertia- the more inertia any moving part has, the more power is required to stop it.

Twin cylinder = twice as many power strokes per time = more inertia = more power = more resistance required to stall the engine = twins have more torque then singles...

Single cylinder motors will produce greater hp in the mid to upper range which translates into speed. Diesel trucks require twice the amount of time to reach the same speed (say 55mph) as a car- because the diesel has half the HP but twice the torque.
Why do you think you don't see huge single cylinder cars or diesels? They can't generate the torque a multi cylinder engine can.

That's the whole attraction to twin cylinder tractors- more torque to get up those hills-

Propose this question to a mechanical engineer- he'll agree- I'd bet my popo in it.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the bet, i just showed you numerous proofs.... you're making it sound like a vtwin has an almost two stroke quality, which is false. i just showed u two twin cylinder bikes that had similar torque to 4 cyls but at a lower rpm. the hp is where the big difference in numbers is

Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I just opened the question in the automotive engineering section of yahoo answers-

The first 2 answers (only two so far) say I'm 100% correct.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

So- I got many replies to the question stated above. Some said I was right- some said I was wrong (figures )-

But there was one response that supports your side- which made sense to me, this was his response (this guy is a "top contributor" in the engineering section)

Torque is twisting force -- pounds of pressure multiplied by the length of your leverage.

All things being equal, the pressure of the burning fuel-air mix will be equal between a single and a twin -- the same pounds per square inch. To get pounds of force pushing down on the piston you multiply the PSi by the area of the piston. The single has the larger piston diameter and thus the greater down force.

The twisting force (Torque) is this down force applied through the lever that is the crank. The single has the longer stroke so its greater down force is multiplied by a longer lever to produce even greater torque.

The number of cylinders gives you a more even application of power, and the smaller cylinders allow higher RPMs for much greater power -- but for brute twisting grunt torque the single cylinder rules. Which is why dirt bikes, where torque is at a premium, are mostly singles.
Source(s):
I ride a Thumper -- a 652cc single cylinder street bike.

someone else also stated to make sure these torque readings are taken from the crank- not rear wheels-

That makes total sense to me- So I digress. If you are local- I'll pony up a case of fine import and a prime rib- cause I'm welching on the popo deal

-

Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM

this is getting stupid, anybody with common sense knows that a lower revving single is going to produce its torque lower in the rpm range, i showed you enough charts! just think about it, anything with a lower redline has no choice but to make its power lower... i mean come on dude what dont you get? more cylinders is mainly for more horsepower, but the trade off (give for every take!!) is that power is less accessible on the street because your power is now higher in the revs. i dont know what school you went to, but if its anything like MMI you learned nothing.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

chill man- I said I'd pony up a case of import and a prime rib- I can name my 3rd born after you...

Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM

lol atleast it hasnt come down to calling names, i like a spirited debate

Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

lol atleast it hasnt come down to calling names, i like a spirited debate
likewise- discussions and debates keep it fun and interesting- as long as both don't cross that line. I always learn something new and keep an open mind. Just like how the old school politicians used to do it!

cheers!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sportszillasheex
this is getting stupid, anybody with common sense knows that a lower revving single is going to produce its torque lower in the rpm range, i showed you enough charts! just think about it, anything with a lower redline has no choice but to make its power lower... i mean come on dude what dont you get? more cylinders is mainly for more horsepower, but the trade off (give for every take!!) is that power is less accessible on the street because your power is now higher in the revs. i dont know what school you went to, but if its anything like MMI you learned nothing.
+2

That's why single cyl bike is called a thumper!

Here's my single that's getting a big bore 685 kit.

Name:  650cylrh.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  295.9 KB

Old 04-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hayashi
+2

That's why single cyl bike is called a thumper!

Here's my single that's getting a big bore 685 kit.

nice klr