Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2008 Brute Force Vs. 2008 King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Brute Force Vs. 2008 King Quad

Comments or thoughts?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned both-

KQ 700fi & a BF 750i

The KQ has a weak steering set up, steering felt unstable at anything over 30mph. I kept bending tie rods with 27" tires on. Seemed like every time I'd hit a rock it would slam the bars and bend a rod (and made for some sore wrists)- at 10-15 mph. I also had problems with the TPS and the charging system.
I like the left handed shifter though.

The Brute 750 was a monster- lots of low end torque with the twin cylinder-I loved it. Only problem I ever had was moisture in the carbs and the stupid worn belt sensor tripping every once & a while (no big deal to reset)- I'd buy another Brute 750. Some have had issues swallowing water through the air box- but I've had my brute in water up to it's fenders and never swallowed any water. The brute was a lot faster & more powerful then the KQ- I also didn't mind the manual choke on the BF so much, never had a problem starting- used it all winter to plow. Actually- I had more trouble starting the KQ with the efi then the brute with the carbs!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks...this is the kind of input I need to hear.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 AM

its all in the tuning, a single of similar size SHOULD have more low end

Old 04-11-2010, 06:13 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

its all in the tuning, a single of similar size SHOULD have more low end
I would think a single of similar size would never have more low end torque then a twin (all other things being equal and both tuned to 100%) We're talking torque, not HP.

A single cylinder only has a power stroke one out of every 2 complete revolutions of the crank, producing max torque a little higher up- whereas a twin cylinder has a power stroke every complete revolution of the crank. (or- for every 4 strokes of a single, there's one power stroke 1/4 - for every 4 strokes of a twin, there's 2 power strokes 2/4) producing max torque in low range.
So- a twin will always produce more torque then a single of the same cc in regards to low range rpm- which is why you buy a v8 to pull a boat, not a v6- even if both have around the same HP- the v8 will have more torque down low and the v6 will have to reach a higher rpm to achieve the same torque. (again- we're not talking about a super charged v6 vs. a stock 1978 v8!)

Here's a great article on the subject, and explains why twins produce more low range torque then singles-

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionSixB.htm

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 AM

most v8s are also bigger in displacement then v6s.... a twin cylinder banshee has very little low end compared to even a 250 single. a 600cc 4 cylinder sport bike has nothing on the bottom compared to a thumper like an xr600.... a twin may have a powerstroke every revolution, but thats one cylinder at a time isnt it? ive noticed that by viewing dyno charts of many bikes and atvs that similar displacement means similar torque numbers, but the singles peak is lower in the rpms. HP is where the extra cylinders comes in, because hp needs rpm... your logic where a single is about hp and not torque is flawed but lets not argue about it

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM

from the article by which i have read before, but thanks: "The single cylinder engine produces both its torque and horsepower in the low to middle RPM range only and this is good for slower speed riding situations."

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

but the singles peak is lower in the rpms
Actually- singles peak higher in rpm- they need to. A single cylinder produced its max torque higher in the rpm range.

a twin may have a powerstroke every revolution, but thats one cylinder at a time isnt it?
It's one cylinder at a time, but its double the power stroke as a single. You have to look at the 4 stroke principle- 1 power stroke for ever 4 strokes in a single, compared to 2 power strokes for every 4 strokes in a twin- it's harder to stop a motor when there 2 power strokes for every 4 strokes then a motor with one power stroke for every 4 strokes.
Did you check the link I posted?

"The single cylinder engine produces both its torque and horsepower in the low to middle RPM range only and this is good for slower speed riding situations."
You have to keep reading further down- where it compares twin cylinder torque to single cylinder torque. The twin produced it's max torque lower in the rpm range then does the single- HP has nothing to do with torque. Look at the principles behind a diesel engine vs gas. Higher HP will get you to the top end more quickly, but hit a hill and you're slowing down-
Evident by anyone who has ever ownd a 4 cylinder jeep- takes you forever to reach 65mph- if the wind blows you'll slow to 45 mph- it lacks the torque.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 AM

i dont really care what they say, i know that an engine with less cylinders but of the same size produces its power lower... the article even said that. i have ridden and researched a lot of machines to know. compare dynos from similar sized street bikes with variying number of cylinders and tell me what you see

Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM

also, it does say a twin is designed for low end torque, but they are comparing it to a 4 cylinder....

"The V-Twin engine is designed to produce lots of torque a very low RPMs. While horsepower is good in the middle range. While this type of engine may not be as fast as an Inline-4, you will actually feel like you would get there faster. "

Quick Reply: 2008 Brute Force Vs. 2008 King Quad