Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 - Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 - Problems

Ok, I was eager to get a wheeler for this fall season. To say it nicely I rushed and Fuched up good! I thought I got a deal on this '02 w/1600 miles for $1800, but I think I got stuck real good more than anything.

The thing runs real good and strong. However its been used pretty hard, but still seems to be pretty solid over all!

The issue is: I was told it leaked water when sitting, but couldn't tell where from. Well I got home cleaned it and found out where from (inside the radiator). It also appears the fan isn't kicking on like it should. Not to mention the resivior has a small hole that appears to have been patched up, and the cap to the resivior doesn't get as tight as it should.

What do I need to do to save money at getting this the way it needs to be, and does the radiator, cap, fan, and resivior ALL need replaced. Also is there anything else that may need attention with all this?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think 1800 is a good deal in spite of the repairs that you may have to make. My advice would be to start replacing things that are on that list, starting with the least expensive and working towards the more spendy stuff. That way, if the problem is cheap, you can fix it for cheap.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kevin, thanks for the support. It is frustrating gettin in these situations.

Well looks like a resivior/cap, and radiator are things I got to do first. Probably $600 there alone. From the sites that sell new ones. At least the sites I've found.

Do you or anyone else know where I should shop?

Also this is probably a stupid question, but would say a Rubicons radiator and resivior be able to work w/a little welding for the radiator brackets? What would cause the problem in doing that?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Check ebay, you can get a good deal on the resivoir bottles and caps... dont know about the radiator itself though. Im guessing that if if was possible to weld the radiator conversion, than it would be okay. as long as the rubicon's has the same amount of cooling power :/

Old 11-13-2010, 11:50 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Look into aftermarket radiators like Fluidyne or PWR. In most cases they are cheaper than an original, as well as doing a better job of cooling.

You can also take it to a radiator shop and have it checked and repaired.

You need to fix the radiator before you can chase any other cooling issues you might be having. Good Luck.

Oh and $1800 for a good running Kawie is a steal any way you look at it.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. Here is what I was thinking so far, and I"m no mechanic by anymeans. Since the resivior needed replaced I found a cheap one on ebay in clean shape. Once that comes in. Putting that on and replacing a cpl hoses. Once all that is done. I will be able to tell if there is any leaks anymore. If theres no leaks. I assume the fan should kick on properly. If it does not I will replace that as well. If there is a leak, I guess I will take the radiator off for repairs or a new one.

Does this seem like the way you guys might try tackling it? Reason I ask. I read on one forum, that if your cap alone on the resivior isn't good. That the fan may not come on. That didn't make sense to me, but not being a mechanic. Just thought what the hell, cheap fix that needs replaced anyways.....Hoping the fan comes on once replace.

Guess my question is, what all can cause a fan NOT to come on?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:52 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

The issue with the fan could be a couple different things. First, if you have a leak and the water level gets low, the sensor can end up not having water against it (At an idle) therefore not reading the water temp. Second, there is a Temp sensor that can go bad. Third there is any issues the fan might be having. If the fan is coming on now only it doesn't do it until the motor overheats, then the fan isn't the issue. There is also a Thermostat that may not be opening right.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the great insight. Once I get this resivior and hoses in, I'll start narrowing down more. Thanks guys