Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki 300 Bayou Carb fuel screw issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki 300 Bayou Carb fuel screw issue

My bayou 300 sat for 6 months and the carb was horribly gummed up, gotta love ethanol. Anyway started running wire through every hole, followed with light compressed air. Bought carb rebuild kit to be on safe side. Installed everything, set fuel screw to 2 1/8 turns out. Started the bike, fired, then died. Ran fuel screw out another half turn, fired bike idles for about 15 seconds. Another half turn out its finally idling ok. But as soon as I touch the throttle it dies. Another half turn out, almost 4 turns out the bike will idle all day great, no mid throttle, can feather it to full throttle but its very rough running. This boggles my mind, especially because its a brand new moose carb rebuild kit. I know 4 turns out on the fuel screw is WAY to much. Anyone have and advice?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wire thru every hole - I've heard wire can mess up the hole sizing because your dealing with aluminum and brass. I heard copper strands from an electrical wire might be ok. There are a lot of little holes/passages in the carb body which need to be clear too.

Not sure what the rebuild kits include. Please let us know.

Is the tank & tank filter screen and petcock and any inline fuel filter clean? Hose not kinked. Air filter not plugged with mouse nest?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually use the use torch tip cleaners, very small and thin. Im always careful when cleaning carbs have used this method for years. No electric wire, mainly because pieces of the strands can break off in the holes.

The carb kit consists of main jet,low speed jet, mid jet I beleive its called. Fuel screw with new spring,washer,oring. Needle,needle guide. And a float valve, and bowl gasket.

I forgot to mention in the first post, when I use the choke if I put it at about middle position I can rev the bike. Just once it goes back to idle, and further throttle it dies.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Keihin CVK is a "constant vacuum" carb that depends on an air-tight
rubber diaphragm, which is NOT in the rebuild kit. Did you check yours?

Also, I like to blow out the passages with air, too, just after I shoot them
with Gumout.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by sr.ruedas
The Keihin CVK is a "constant vacuum" carb that depends on an air-tight
rubber diaphragm, which is NOT in the rebuild kit. Did you check yours?

Also, I like to blow out the passages with air, too, just after I shoot them
with Gumout.
I thought of that too but when mine had 2 holes in it, it would still pull me along at 20-30 mph and it still revved out almost normally. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the spring and needle are in the right way since you had it apart. Mine wasn't when I bought it and the first time I had the carb off, the needle fell into the top cover when I turned the carb upside down and I didn't notice until I tried to start the bike again.