Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Just got a 2006 Prairie 360 4x4, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 2006 Prairie 360 4x4, HELP

Hey guys, so i just picked up a 2006 prairie with a plow for 2500, in pretty good shape. The woman i bought it from husband had passed to it hadn't been driven in a while. I jumped it using my car when i checked it out and it refused to idle and would die as soon as the choke was off, but once on the throttle it seemed to run fine. I figured for 2500 it was a deal and just needed to clean out the carb. So i pulled out the carb and cleaned it out, some junk in there. I got it semi back together (fuel tank not bolted down) and tried it out, idled great with choke on but died when i took it off, i took it for a spin for about 5 min. After that it would allow me to turn the choke 100% off. Seems like it took a long time to warm up. Is this the norm for these quads?

So i went to put it back together 100%, and i cant get the dang fuel tank bolts in. I can get the tank what feels like all the way forward but i cant get the last 1/8 or 1/4 inch to align the bolts, is this common or is there a trick?

So two questions, how long do these take to warm up, and how do i get the fuel tank to go far enough forward to allow installation of the bolts?

Thanks
-Nick

Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

something just ain't quite lined up correctly as it should drop right into place. now, the carb's pilot jet should be very clean (factory clean). you should see daylight through the orifices and down the throat of the jet. any little piece of debris or sand will cause it to not idle. it should only take a few minutes to warm up. back to the fuel tank, look in and around the tank area, you could have something small holding you back, it shouldn't take much to find the obstruction.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I looked and cant figure out what is blocking it. Take a look at the pics, it looks like it is in all the way, at that forward pin thing, but the darn holes are not lining up. If i use a screwdriver and wedge it closed with a good deal of force, i can get it on, but it feels like its too much stress to be putting on the tank. I am contemplating opening up the holes on the gas tank with a dremel, thoughts?
<http://s24.photobucket.com/user/orenn89/library/>

Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure on that pin thing. i myself wouldn't dremel it out. i am curious if it is the right tank. did everything line up before you took it off? if so, we must be missing something.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cant tell you how many times i have thought "Y didnt i look at this before i pulled this tank off!! It dosent make since that it was like this before i pulled it off or else those bolts would have been tough to pull out and it woulda poped when i pulled it out. My only other idea is that since the tank sat on its side for about 5 days when i was getting around to taking appart and cleaning the carb, the tank deformed under its own weight and the summer heat, but this seems unlikely. Anyone live in the Ct area and mind if i borrow a tank for a fit check? Do you think if i bought one at the dealership and just fit checked it i could return it?

Old 08-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Check the front of the tank, it will be rubber mounted so a mount may have slipped or a cable dropped in between tank and mountings or frame, the rubber bobbins on the photos are to allow for a bit of movement.

Regarding the slow warm up, I would run it as is for a while. Some jets "fir up" if not used for a while and will clean themselves with use. Don't work the machine hard though as it will be running slightly lean at the moment and could overheat.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tanks a pain in the a-- ! God didn't give us enough hands to work on these things. Make sure everythings out of the way and it should just fall into place , Wiring towards the front gave me issues.