Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 Kawasaki prairie 700 bogs down and fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Kawasaki prairie 700 bogs down and fuel in oil

I've been having some issues with my prairie 700 for about 6 months my a tv has been bogging down after about on minute at full throttle, some times even completely stalling and not starting back up for about 30 seconds. But when just putting around doing yard work it ran great. Then I parked it for about two weeks and started it so I could haul off some stumps when I stopped to unchain the stump I smelled burning oil and gas so I looked at the engine and there was a oil/gas mix pouring down from out the rear head exhaust where my hmm pipe slips on and isn't completely sealed. I turned it off ad checked the oil and the same mix seeped out the dipstick hole I drove it home very slow only about 30 feet shut off and coasted down hill to my garage. I tore down the carb all the jets are clean and no stuck float I've drained the oil and am replacing the plugs they were full of carbon but I saw no oil on them and my inline fuel filter was full of some red powder stuff so I'm replacing it too but have no idea why the crankcase filled with gas any ideas

Old 11-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have ordered a compression tester but doubt it's the rings I poured some seafoam into each head a waited to see if I came out the oil drain and it din not

Old 11-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

did you check the choke cable, #1 problem with these units.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...there's only 1 way for fuel to enter the crankcase and that's leak-down past the rings...but that would suggest excess fuel is entering the cylinder...

Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelshayne
I tore down the carb all the jets are clean and no stuck float I've drained the oil and am replacing the plugs they were full of carbon but I saw no oil on them and my inline fuel filter was full of some red powder stuff so I'm replacing it too but have no idea why the crankcase filled with gas any ideas
Save yourself some headaches and rebuild the carbs,don't just clean them. Worn float needles are the main cause of fuel getting in to the crank case even if the float level is set correctly. Gas can bypass the worn needle and seat and either drip from the over flow tubes or go straight into the cylinder or both.
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Compression

I got my compression tester and have 75 PSI on front and rear cylinders is that right? Seem ok to me I did the test with the pull start.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Way too low, but did you test with throttle open, and why not test on the starter motor, or even one cylinder running?

Old 11-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Compression

I had no oil in the engine and the battery & carburetor removed I have since added oil with a small amount of seafoam and replaced the in line fuel filter. The red stuff in the filter was from having 30%+ ethanol at some point in the fuel mixed with water idk how that happened but I believe the bogging down at full throttle was from the clogged filter restricting flow. I also have new plugs so later tonight I'll vacuum the spark plug holes and put new plugs in. But I want to replace my pump strainer and carburetor needles but can't get 3 of the screws out some I'ma use my dremal to cut a slit in the screw heads and remove them with a flat head and replace the Philip screws with hex head screws I'll report progress tomorrow

Old 11-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Compression

I also was aware that the compression was a little low but because I did not have more than a 10% difference between the front and rear cylinder I'm considering it to be okay because of the fact that I did not use the starter motor or with the throttle open and did not have any oil in the engine other than the oil that was left coating it from draining

Old 11-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Get a small pair of "baby" channel lock pliers to remove those soft headed carb screws. Most good hard ware stores will have them.A useful tool that I used often. Then you can change to allen head screws if you wish afterwards.

Attached Thumbnails 05 Kawasaki prairie 700 bogs down and fuel in oil-s-l1600.jpg