Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki mojave 250 shifter spins freely. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki mojave 250 shifter spins freely. Help

Recently recovered my stolen bike from the police station and on the way home I noticed my shifter doesnt shift my bike it just spins til it hits the frame the bike is currently not running do to lack of fire to spark plug anny suggestions on what it could be?

Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If you are lucky, the shift lever may have come loose on the shaft, you should be able to see if the shaft is moving with the lever or not. If it is this, check the splines on the lever, and if they are badly worn, get a new lever.

As for the spark, could be anything, but if the thief hot wired it, the kill wire could have been disturbed behind the key switch. Also if he/she touched it to the live from battery, they could have blown the CDI.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks for the quick reply

I checked the shifter its tight on the shaft and the teeth are fine I spun it all the way around and it shifted twice it won't shift back or into 3rd or fourth I've managed to shift it back to neautral with the lever that shows what gear ur in i just turned it with a 8mm socket and it shifted. Also u had mentioned the ignition wires so I checked and there spliced and were together im assuming this is why the cdi box doesnt fire the plug.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thief must have broken part of the selector mechanism. I don't work on Kawasakis much and haven't had gearbox problems, but Hondas are prone to broken pawl levers etc, only way is to take the clutch cover off and have a look.
Genuine Kawasaki Parts for ATV | Cradley Kawasaki

Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What bikes have the same cdi as a kawasaki mojave 250

some one has to know which bike has a cdi thats the same as a kawasaki mojave 250 the cdi boxes or 100+ on ebay and even more expensive on amazon....... Im looking to just buy like another cdi and just put the plugs off the old one onto the new one is this possible

Old 05-19-2018, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Get a workshop manual and do the wiring checks to CDI first, it may not be a blown CDI that is your problem.

KLF 300s are DC ignition, but I think the 220s and 250s are AC CDI ignition. In theory some cheap Chinese CDIs could probably be made to fit, but you need to be very well up on Quad electrics to get it right, I wouldn't fancy doing it myself unless there was no alternative. Again, the wiring diagram in the workshop manual would be essential to work out what goes where.