Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki bayou starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki bayou starting problem

Kawasaki bayou 220 wouldn't start so I rebuilt the carburetor. Now it will start but only if you push start it and it will run great but if you use the starter button all it does is crank but wont start even after it has warmed up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Low compression can cause this, as you turn the engine faster when push starting. Check it is over 90psi. If it is low, try adjusting valve clearances.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

If the compression is good, then here is what I had to do on mine. When it was cold, or sitting for several days, it was so hard to start. The choke didn't do anything. I bought a rebuild kit, and still was so hard to start cold. MIne is perfect now, the choke works as it should, and it starts in a crank or two. There is a port in the bottom of the carb bowl, next to the gas drain hole, that needs to be cleared. It is small, and I missed it when I did my carb. I took a sewing needle, then some carb cleaner, and some air into the hole. You should be able to blow air or cleaner from the small hole at the bottom, and it will come out the larger top hole where the gasket fits. Good luck, let me know if it works !

Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

check those valves if the compression is going right back out a valve due to it not sealing it can do this. At the dealership I used to work for people used to bring us plenty of Japanese bikes from the 80's that would push start only, in most cases the valves were sinking into the heads and all clearance was lost so the valve was always open. Note this can burn valves as the valves need to close to shed heat so at bare minimum get the motor to top dead center on the compression stroke and wiggle each valve (up and down) to verify you have at least some play.